Bands with interesting use of timing

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Apr 5, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Lately I've been digging bands with interesting approaches to timing. Mostly Metal/hardcore bands (but not limited to) that have Off-time rythms, weird arrangements, etc.. A few examples are: Candiria, Keelhaul, Mastodon, Meshuggah. Any suggestions on other bands that aren't afraid to defy typical 4/4 timing??
  2. Look into Gypsy Music. Sadly, I can't name any bands since it was all my friends stuff, but they have some very odd use of time sigs. Cool music, and if you ever wanna show a guitarist what fast really means it's perfect(no picK either).
  3. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    spastic ink and spiral architect have insane rhythms in all kinds of odd time signatures/feelings.

so do atheist, aghora, cynic, zero hour, watchtower and lots of others...
  4. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    I wouldn't describe them as metal, more like prog-rockers who like to improvise. But they definitely satisfy your request for bands with weird arrangements and odd metered rhythms. Check out Umphrey's McGee
  5. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Cool I'l definitely check some of those out. I have Cynic's album focus, Which is great. Do they have any others?
  6. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Well, The Rolling Stones have trouble playing in time. Does that count?
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    D'angelo's Voodoo has one of the most interesting approaches to conventional 4/4 meter that I've ever heard.
  8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Try to find some Gentle Giant recordings. They're whacked, in a good way.
  9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Horse the Band
    Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
    Opeth has some crazy time sigs
    Emerson Lake and Palmer
    King Crimson, especially the song Red which changes time signature about every bar.

Tons really.
  10. The F***ing Champs are great for odd-time stuff. Not to mention all-instrumental music with 9-string guitars. They're playing here Sunday night!
  11. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Death, Tool, Cryptopsy.

12. Amen to that!
  13. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Look into almost any prog rock band. King Crimson, Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer etc.
  14. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Dream Theater
    Shadow Gallery
  15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Those guys are great. They keep the flame alive for the Metallica-loving geeky high schooler in all of us.
  16. Cool.. another Champs fan! They are quite the riffing machine, indeed.
  17. Oops.. a week from Monday. Just got a ticket! :bassist:
  18. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Check out some fo the polyrythmic material on Morbid Angel's "Gateways to Anihilation" album. Its ridiculous but so incredibly catchy at the same time. 33 over 9? Sure why the hell not!