1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bands with Multiple Bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Grimlock, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Yo,

Has anyone ever heard of a band that use multiple bass players?

I know that Spinal Tap have that song, "Big Bottom", which is the three guys ALL playing bass, but that is just one song.

The only band I've ever heard of that has multiple players would be this Japanese Grindcore band called "Melt Banana", which is, from what I understand, 3 Bassists/Vocalists and a drummer.

Anyone know of any other bands? Am I even right about Melt Banana?

2. I am not really sure of any poplular bands that do, i saw some oldies play the other day and they had a few bassists. After that i dont remember much :(

3. It appears Melt Banana is a standard four piece, vocals / guitars / bass / drums, but the bassist is a woman (I think) & these song are pretty cool!

4. I work as a roadie for band that instead of having 2 guitar players, has 2 bass players and it makes me curious to know of other bands that have more than one bassist. So far I've gathered this list:

Koyi K Utho(Colombia)(The band that I work for)
    Molotov(Mexico)
    Dos(USA)
    Girls Aganist Boys(USA)
    GOD(USA)(This one I got it from a review, it's a full noise orchestra with two electric basses and a double bass, still haven't heard ANYTHING!! but seems cool)

Want to help with this list??

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  6. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    I seem to remember hearing about a band called Cop Kill Cop that had two bass players...

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Has Amy and Joe brought in another member? I only know them as a Bass + Drums duo... not 2 bassists.

8. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Sorry, no.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Ned's Atomic Dustbin
    Delta 5

10. NOISE!

NOISE!

Jun 20, 2004
    In your mind
    "Cop Shoot Cop" Two bassists and sheetmetal percussion is all I remember about them.

edit-----------------------------------------
    Sometimes I think wikipedia will be our downfall, no real reson, just a feeling................. and now here's the trivia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cop_Shoot_Cop

11. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I saw Cop shoot Cop at reading when I was about 15- I think they were having an off day. Also saw the mighty Ned's Atomic Dustbin (come on, I was 15!) the same day.

Last week I saw this band Muratorix from Tokyo. http://muratorix.253.jp/backflip/index.html
    Very slipknotesque stage show. except they wear KFC buckets:confused: Much musical wanking but funny ...for about 20 minutes
    two basses, one a 'ray5 playing chords slaps and taps a plenty. The other playing a four string fretless (not sure what as I daren't have gotten close enough to see) with a very scooped tone, even I can spot that on a trace.;)

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Was Buckethead the lead guitarist? ;)

13. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    A few more:

WOLFMANGLER - http://wolves.tamu.edu. Two BGs and one DB.
    Switchblade Kittens - three BGs. In spite of the unusual lineup they play really normal pop-punk.
    Barathrum - three BGs, supposedly they've used as many as seven live.

14. Would any of the King Crimson stuff hich features both Tony Levin and Trey Gunn count? (ie, Vrooom or Thrak etc...) The double trio format I do believe...

15. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Also, there's L'Orchestre de Contrebasses. All DBs but there's six of them.

[​IMG]

Here's something David Patrick posted on The Bottom Line back in 1999:

16. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Check out Sting's DVD "All This Time." It is a concert filmed at his villa in Tuscany (nice setting!). Christian McBride plays DB and Sting plays his old P (with Manu Katche on drums!). Great stuff!

Hey, this is my 500th post!

:D

17. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Various Kip Hanrahan projects have used two, sometimes three bass players. May fave is Verticals Currency, where on a couple of tunes, Jack Bruce, Steve Swallow and Andy Gonzales are all playing at the same time.

Also the Gary Burton "Quartet" that had Eberhard Weber as a guest, Swallow and Weber.

18. BASS EXTREMES:bassist:

victor wooten+steve bailey=awesome

some people say that it's just a chops fest and not real music, but anyone who listens to their albums knows that's not the case

19. Theres a doom band called Pale Horse with 2 bassists, I believe.