1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bands with no bass players

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bolophonic, Jun 7, 2012.

1. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I am generally open to almost any type of musical expression, whether it is something I would normally like or not. I will give anything a shot before judging it.

That said, I will never ever get into a rock/funk/soul/pop band with no bass player. The Doors = never. The Black Keys = don't need it. A buddy of mine invited me to go see Jucifer a while back and I skipped it when I realized that they were a two piece. I'm not pooping on the importance of the talent in these bands, but there is so much amazing music out there... I can't see any reason to waste my valuable time on bands who don't either don't utilize bass or bass players.

2. Dude, check out Soulive and be pleasantly suprised!

3. bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Do they have a bass player?

4. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Animals As Leaders.

5. pokol

pokol

Mar 22, 2012
    Animals as Leaders is pretty good.

Although it's a part of that whole modern movement of 7-8 string guitars down tuned making the presence of a bass guitar almost redundant.

I guess that's why they don't have a bass player. Not my preferred piece of cake either though still respectfully musical and talented.

6. bassfran

bassfran Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs rock in spite of being bassless.

7. BigRedBassPlayer

BigRedBassPlayer Supporting Member

Local H did it right when Scott Lucas put a bass pup in his guitar so he can get both sounds at once. Normally I can't stand 2 man bands. Local H I love, and I have to give the White Stripes all their credit. Jack White is great.

8. RandalPinkFloyd

RandalPinkFloyd

Jun 3, 2012
    I generally agree with you minus The Doors. Love The Doors. With that said, you are only somewhat right in that they didn't have a bass player, which would probably explain why I never cared for any live recordings where the keyboard player handled those duties. Whereas I love their albums where they had a studio bass player. "Love Her Madly" is my favorite song probably due to the signature bass line in it. I believe Jerry Scheff was the bass player on that song and that entire album.

9. Newsboys

10. The Black Keys use a bass player for their live stuff and their studio stuff on their albums since Attack and Release. I have always been satisfied by Dan Auerbach's bass heavy guitar parts on their earlier stuff.

11. Picktastic

Picktastic

Feb 29, 2012
    I am firmly of the opinion that awesome music is awesome music and some stuff with no bass sounds freaking awesome. As such, I could not disagree with your opinion more.

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    A band without a bass player ... that is wrong ...

Also bands like the Doors, use a bass player in the studio.

13. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

The traditional role and even some not so traditional need and job of a stringed bass can be covered by other instruments. I like hearing a bass but I love electronic music and never think of its absence when listening to it.

Bothers me more actually to listen to jazz fusion without ripping guitar. But all that said my favorite music is with smoking bass itÂ’s just the way to the top of the mountain.

14. bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    All of these are examples of great bands and musicians who's output could only be improved by one thing.

It makes me wonder if I went to TalkPiano.com, would I find pianists saying, "yeah, but the GUITARIST does all the piano..."?

15. White Stripes comes to mind

16. ejmy

ejmy

Nov 30, 2008
    Yes, and a very good one. But he uses his left hand on a Hammond B3.

17. wilberthenry

wilberthenry

May 12, 2009
    I agree with ejmy. If you give Soulive a good listen you will be impressed with the bass lines played by Neal Evans on the B3. I love the bass, but I refuse to limit what I listen to based on instrumentation.

18. Yeah, the Doors had some really great bass playing on their albums. Apparently Jim was very impressed that they got Jerry Scheff for LA Woman because he was a big Elvis fan.

But yes, there are too many decent bands out there now that would be awesome if they had a bass player.

19. ric4682

ric4682 Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Another plug for Soulive here. I love love love them.

20. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Little boxes on the hillside,
    Little boxes made of ticky tacky,
    Little boxes on the hillside,
    Little boxes all the same.
    There's a green one and a pink one
    And a blue one and a yellow one,
    And they're all made out of ticky tacky
    And they all look just the same.