bands with no guitarists?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Feb 27, 2003.

1. i seen the "No flashy guitar" thread and thought, "Are there many bands without them?" and by that i mean, bands that have the regular instruments as in, drums, bass, keys, vocals, maybe some brass, but lets keep it so that we arnt going off into crazy branches of this topic shall we hmm?
    okie dokie, go to er.
  2. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    although a band wouldnt really sound all that good without a guitarist but it really does depend on what music you play. People may say that the drums are really important because it keeps you in time and rhythm but in some blues you dont need it, and in some type of song you dont really need a guitar. but let me ask you this question. Can a band not have a bass player?
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  4. i really think drums are the most important part of a band, but thats just my oppinion, there are lots of bands without bass, but it just isnt the same, its what links the drums to the rest of the music and it is the only bridge, without it there wouldnt be the music we hear but two different bands at once
  5. There are many bass, drum and keys trios out there, although they usually fall into the jazz category.. such as Medeski Martin & Wood, and the local hampsterfish ... Ben folds five doesn't have a guitarist either.. as far as pop bands though, none come to mind

the white stripes don't have a bassist
  6. knight

Nov 3, 2002
    Early records by 3 Mile Pilot (now defunct, although some members founded Black Heart Procession) were only bass, drums, and vocals. great work by one of my favorite players, Zach aka Armistead Burwell Smith IV. Check out Na Vucca Do Lupu, which I think is their best album. Also Morphine didn't have any guitars: (slide) bass, sax, drums, vocals.
  7. Like I said in another thread.....

There was a version of the NYC band Cop SHoot Cop with two drummers, two bassists, a keys player, with one of the bassists doing vocals.

I think Room 429 was recorded with that line up, I could be wrong.
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Béla Fleck & the Flecktones.;)

Medeski, Martin & Wood.

9. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    preshrunk, 2 bass one drummer, 4 5 and 6 strings.
    :bassist: :bassist:

the singer/bassist got caught trying to steal 'the vines' bassists equiptment (the vines only trash their instruments...youd have to after the crap the poor axe has been through) and yeah the guitarrist of the vines gave him a black eye with a fender 4 string.

now if it was just going to get trashed who cares if I gets stolen...better off it going to someone who would take care of it.

10. Of course, the obvious one is Emerson, Lake and Palmer (although Greg Lake plays occasional guitar).

There was also a German band that was rather a sound-alike in the early/mid 70's called Trimvirat.

I'm sure there are lots of synthetic type bands out there too like Kraftwerk with no guitars.
  11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Soulive does have a guitarist.
    FSU Seminoles doesn't have a guitarist! :p
  12. EvanDaw

Feb 27, 2003
    Derry PA
    there was a member who posted here a while ago about her band that was only bass and drums, and they are a rock band. the bands name was clatter if i remember correctly.

and my band is just bass and guitar, with the guitar doing vocals.
  13. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    oops, that last post was me, my brother was signed in.
  14. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    godheadsilo - drums & bass

enemymine - drums & 2 bassists
  15. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    pretty soon I will be in a band with 3 bassists and thats all. Ill prolly be funkin away while someone rythms on the low notes and the other borrows my distortion pedal and rocks out. or something to that effect, It may sound like absolute crap, but at least it will be unique and interesting to some extent.
  16. D'oh, yeah, of the tracks I heard by them it didn't sound like they did...then I *poof* heard it.:meh:
  17. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    BigWig: I wish more people know about Soulive. GREAT band!
  18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Bass, drums, and a huge sound.
    They really rock, very interesting bass parts.