1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bands without the letter B BS.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    This might have alread been posted, but if so I missed it. Anybody know what that facebook thing was about the other day? I'm curious. There was post getting passed around that said something like, "Try to name a band that doesn't have the letter B in it. It's harder than you think."

I started to respond and quickly realized it had to be some sort of scam, as it's harder to think of bands with Bs in the name, then ones without.

Anyone come across this, or know something I don't? Not a big facebook guy, and things like this make me all the more wary of goings on there.

2. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    I did too. I also found one for "Movies without the letter s".

I like to think it was a guy trying to find new music who put it up as a challenge to get people to post bands.

3. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I was thinking it was some kind of scam too and didn't reply. It's a ridiculously easy challenge, even for fb.

4. BassMom88

BassMom88

Oct 17, 2011
    I've seen one for Name a movie without the letter "s".
    I believe they are just memes and people have fun with them, but I'm sure there's some sort of mining software that can gather info. about those that reply for advertising (or whatever). I don't reply to any or allow any apps or sign in with anything via Facebook.

Will play here though :)
    The Monkees (not even any of the band members have a "b" in their name)

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think the challenge predisposes your mind to think of bands with the letter B in them, somewhat blocking your ability to think of bands without it. Let's start a list and put it on Facebook.

Journey
    Toto
    Steely Dan
    Eagles
    Nirvana
    One Direction
    AC/DC
    Metallica
    Santana
    ZZ Top
    Fleetwood Mac
    The Who
    Rush
    Kiss
    Foreigner
    Wang Chung
    Rolling Stones
    Dave Clark 5
    America
    Police
    The Cars
    Chicago
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Van Halen
    The Knack
    The Pretenders

6. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I saw that. I responded with 8 bands or so and got bored. Way too easy.

7. JFOC

JFOC

Oct 23, 2010
    new hampShire
    Cream
    Led Zep
    Rolling stones

8. trying to understand how this could be a scam

9. I think it's more a fad thing than an out and out scam, I've seen a number of people posting images with the same question (and the Movies without "S" one too).

10. Yeah, don't bother clicking on anything like that. They seem to be just ads.

Anyway, it's really a trick question. The question itself plants the suggestion in your mind. "Think of a band that does not include B" and your mind immediately begins going through "B" bands. "Do not think about elephants" and your mind will think about elephants.

11. Alice Cooper
    Ozzy Osbourne
    Testament
    Wrathchild America
    Annihilator
    Anthrax
    Dangerous Toys
    Pantera

Ok, I'm bored now... lol

12. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I'm not much of a facebook guy, so I don't know a whole lot about the privacy settings... which I should actually look into. But anyhow, I'm pretty certain that if I don't have everything set properly and participate in something like this - I can open a whole lot of people up to my information. I believe there are many others like myself that need to explore the privacy settings. I'm going to put my bass down and actually do that right now. Playing a fairly new danelectro by the way. They feel different than most basses and inspire different types of things.

13. If something 'looks' suspicious, it probably is.

14. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Metallica
    Tool
    Mastodon
    Cannibal Corpse
    Mercenary
    Deftones
    etc..

Here's one though that I saw that I was curious about:
    Try to name a vegetable(or fruit, forget which it said) that doesn't have the letter "a" in it's name.

15. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    OT. 1 click away from 10,000 hits on my vid below. Someone please click it. :)

16. Lettuce
    Celery
    Pumpkin
    Fig
    Lime
    Lemon
    Leek
    Onion

17. Just played it and it still sat at 9,999 :confused:

Funky tune though!

18. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Damn odometer is stuck!

Thanks though. :)

19. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    There , 10 000 , what do i win? A Led Blimpy t-shirt i hope :)

20. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Not hard to get info on me, is it. :) T-shirts aren't mine or I'd give you one. They're the property of the guy who started the band about a dacade ago. I'm still the new guy, although I've been with them a little more than a year now I think.

Hey, there's a "B" in Led Blimpie!

edit: my counter still says 9,999. I probably have to blow some cookies to get a correct tally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.