1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bands You Don't Like Much, But you Love The Bass Playing

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BarfanyShart, Apr 14, 2021.

1. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    I was listening to Tame Impala this morning and was like "man, I gotta sit down and shed some of these basslines, this is inventive stuff." But, you know, aside from the bass, these songs don't do much for me - I'm not walking around humming the tunes, or counting the days until I can go check out Tame Impala live. Nothing against the project, just my personal taste - and I think the frontman of Tame Impala writes all the instrumental parts, so props to him for being a true composer, especially for the bass.

2. bass12

bass12 Basking Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Snarky Puppy and Vulfpeck come to mind. Stone Temple Pilots.

3. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I have this feeling constantly. As a listener, I have relatively little interest in (a) most jazz music, and (b) most improvised music generally, and (c) most music that is more focused on soloing, advanced techniques, variations, etc. rather than on a set song structure with some type of melody, chorus, or hook that will stick in my head. However, a lot of the best musicians (bass and otherwise) gravitate towards music that meets one or more of those criteria, so I tend to find a lot of bass players whose playing I dig but I don't necessarily find myself pulling up the tunes when I am listening to music just for music's sake rather than to check out the bassist or some other instrumentalist.

4. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Same, although I do dig a couple of Vulfpeck's bass-heavy, groovier, catchier instrumentals (e.g. "Dean Town," "Disco Ulysses").

deadline_ and dkelley like this.
  5. mark286

mark286 Proud to be a Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Central New Jersey
    Jamiroquai - Stuart Zender is awesome. I wouldn't listen to the band at all if it weren't for the grooving bass.

6. the general

the general

Jul 8, 2008
    I'd have to say No Doubt. Particularly the earlier stuff from the mid 90's.

7. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    Good question... hard to answer for me. I find that even with music groups that I don't like much, if I love the bass work I'll end up listening to the song (and other other songs by that group) frequently and eventually come to like the song and group. It can even draw me into entire styles and genres I hadn't previously cared for.

MynameisMe and Mr Cheese like this.
  8. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Nov 8, 2019
    New York, USA
    When I saw the title, I instantly thought of Guns 'n' Roses. I want to like them, but Axel Rose is just too much for my taste. Duff's basslines are freaking wicked though.

9. Peteyboy

Peteyboy

Apr 2, 2018
    Los Angeles
    The Stranglers.

Vinny_G, teh-slb, mexicant and 8 others like this.
  10. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Absolutely Vulfpeck. Joe Dart is a stud but I wish someone would kick that keyboard player in the balls.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    Riff Ranger, Mark_G, chunami and 19 others like this.
  11. mini-milli

mini-milli

Aug 6, 2020
    Bela Fleck and the Flecktones for me. Or Graham Central Station.

12. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I'm Jewish. But DAMN - the Christmas-themed pop music that is played on the radio nonstop in November in December has some of the most amazing melodic bass playing ever.

13. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    This will probs get me booted from TB for life, but I don't usually dig my ears into the bass player. I'm more interested in the song and the ensemble sound. I wonder if it's a byproduct of my transistor-radio-and-cheap-mono-cassette-player upbringing, when I didn't even know what a bass or bassline WERE.

14. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

per the OP: basslines (unless they strike me as special) aren't the first things i listen for in any "tune/song" experience. and i've only heard a minority of tunes where i thought "the bass player is saving this tune." for me: a tune is a tune because of the melody (and context: rhythm, changes, etc) so i'm generally hearing those things first. in much of the beat/groove stuff (e.g., funk) it's a little different: i'm hearing the rhythm section first and foremost. all told: if the tune isn't working for me = i may not ever appreciate the bass part much (but maybe enough to steal an idea :D ).

:laugh: :roflmao: :D

15. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Same here, and I'm pretty sure it is for just that reason. I grew up listening to lots of tunes with Jamerson playing, but I definitely never heard much of him.

16. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    I think a lot of jazz fusion listeners listen for the the virtuoso performances on their preferred instrument, and not really the overall aesthetic merits of the songs as a whole. It's all good, the more Joe Dart the better.

chunami likes this.
  17. Same here. I hear the whole of the music. The various "lines" seep into memory as a part of that whole and I only end up tangling them out to play them separately later, when I play back the recording that is in my head. I suppose that makes me weird.

18. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    fIREHOSE

The Owl, Lackey, MisterUbu and 3 others like this.
  19. 4SG

4SG Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2014
    This one might get me kicked off TalkBass but I can't stand RUSH. I think Geddy Lee is a brilliant musician generally and a fantastic bassist especially. I even have a Geddy Lee signature bass in my quiver. But I find Lee's voice unlistenable and the band's lyrics overwrought and insipid. Sorry.

20. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    You're not alone...

...or so I've heard! :cool:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021