Bands you got into after they were cool.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I am notorious for getting into certain bands well beyond when everybody else did. Maybe it's me rebelling against the "me too" attitude, or maybe I'm just dumb. Many of those bands I just didn't like, and now I'm starting to "get it". It's almost like I'm discovering them 10 years after everybody else. Am I the only one who does this?

I've all of a sudden gotten on a Pearl Jam kick, even though I didn't care much for them at the time they came out. I've gotten both 10 and Vs. recently, and will probably buy some more in the near future.

Perhaps my tastes are changing as I get older. I guess liking asparagus and prune juice is next.
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah I just got into this band called Nirvana a couple of years ago... maybe you've heard of them. Same with Soundgarden. Maybe it's a "wow, our generations 'pop rock' wasn't THAT bad" in comparison to the new breed. But I'd chalk it up to changing tastes. When grunge was big, I was into Megadeth, Metallica, Alice Cooper.

Oh yeah, I'm starting to like Led Zeppelin...
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    um...does all the motown I listen to now but didn't listen to 2 years ago count?
  4. I got into Rage against the machine about six weeks before they broke up. D'oh!
    so i figured i was still in time to like Audioslave(which i love!) but than i got into chris cornell (mainly soundgarden) and as we all know, is broken up, so i missed them, same with pearl jam, another band i recently got into. of course, i didn't really get into the grunge when it was big, because when they were popular, i was only 5-6 years old...another d'oh!

last and maybe least, i got into korn all of a sudden. it seems wierd, but maybe after four years of getting it driven into my head in high school, maybe i'm just giving up and in! :D

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    The Jam
    Soul Coughing
    Drive like Jehu

I'm not passe, I'm retro
  6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I am always "late to the party" regarding new music. But its not "new" when I finally hear it.
  7. I've always liked Smashing Pumpkins, but I finally just got all their albums this winter...
  8. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I have this problem too, i always seem to get into things later on.

I have really been into Sonic Youth latly, they have some really good stuff.
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Were Gwar cool at some point? :meh: :confused:
  10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Opeth, I only got into them after Blackwater Park and shortly before Deliverance.

Usually I know of bands pretty early on, but they somehow slipped under my radar.
  11. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Im really gettin into Soundgarden now
  12. 9

13. Now that you mention it, it is about 10 years lag time for me. I hated Duran Duran when it was new (as any rocker kid is going to hate English synthesizer pop), but actually loved the stuff when I was doing a cover of Hungry Like the Wolf. Now I can listen to 2 or 3 Duran Duran songs before I get really sick of it.

Stone Temple Pilots is another example. When Core came out I thought they were a bad Alice In Chains/ Pearl Jam tagalong band (just tell me you didn't think "Plush" was a new Pearl Jam single!! And the video for Sex Type Thing looked like Alice In Chains in the Soundgarden "Outshined" video!!!). It wasn't until seeing the creepy "Buffy the Vampire Slayer in Wonderland" video that I thought they were cool and actually appreciated their music.

I think the only band I was really WAY ahead of the power curve was Smashing Pumpkins. Some friends had seen them before the first album came out and I had heard the "I Am One" 45. Got that record right away- I still have the long box at home- but I did lose my "Nevermind" long box.
  14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

You can be trendy when you are 9. :ninja:
  15. I'm just getting into vinyl now, first time in my life music doesn't have to be new. Synthpop and New Wave I'm tolerating for the first time, heh.
  16. :p

I just have this vision of a 9 year old boy wearing "Metallica" pajamas!
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    OooOoOooh, the ones with the footies!
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Ha, I love Devo, Gary Numan, and Oingo Boingo. Very 80s, but cool.