Bands you grew up with?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by charles21o7, Nov 26, 2004.

1. I was in high school in the early 90s , during the grunge breakout. This was before i was really interested in music. Of all the bands that came out those years, i really dug Pearl Jam. They were the first band i really got into. I wasnt really into the whole grunge thing, i didnt like Nirvana, Alice in Chains was ok, Soundgarden did nothing for me. But Pearl Jam was the ****. They got me to really want to be a Musician. Over the years I kinda stopped keeping up with em. I had the Ten and VS. albums which I played alot. I come to hear that this year they are putting out the greatest hits album. Geez I feel really old now, a band I grew up with is puttin out a GH. So i decided to get some more albums, and i bought a few more of theirs. I intend to see them next chance i get. Anyone else dig Pearl Jam?

So what bands did yall grow up with?? Please tell !
  2. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I remember listening to Green Day and No Doubt alot im my younger days. Through high school I was already huge into music so I listened to pretty much whatever I could get my hands on. Led Zeppelin has always had a special place in me heart though.
  3. Geez, you're feeling old cause Pearl Jam is putting out a greatest hits?

The bands/rock stars I grew up with are all disbanded and/or dead. The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Led Zep, the Dead....

but then again, I graduated high school in 1977.
  4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    When I was first getting into music, I only had two albums:

UFO - Lights Out

Queen - Night at the Opera

They were the soundtrack to my late elementary/early junior high years

My second year of junior high was powered by KISS

Rush carried me through prep. school and early college - Their music was THE soundtrack of my life. Period. Moving Pictures can make me weep uncontrollably

I lost track of Rush after Grace Under Pressure and only came back to them in the last few years
  5. Ahhhh. Where to start? Metallica was the first band that did it for me. When the Black Album came out...I knew the end was near. From there my tastes branched out: Fugazi, New Model Army, Wu-Tang, etc...I'll admit I was into the "Seattle Sound" as soon as it was thrown on the air. As far as nostalgia....I remember a conversation I had with friends and bandmates in '95 when we realized that if it weren't for grunge and the Nerd Rock that followed, no-talents like us would have never seen a stage.
  6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Sadly enough, I first got into rock music in the mid-90's, and the first band that I latched onto was *gasp* Korn. They were aggressive and visible and popular, so... why not? Fortunately, I grew out of them even before I picked up an instrument and discovered the concept of musical competence. Once you get away from what's mainstream on the radio/MTV and start learning about musicians who make good music for the sake of making good music, a whole new world opens up. Pretty much every hard rock/nu-metal band that's been out for any of the last ten years is what I grew up on, and almost all of those CD's have since been discarded in favor of more dynamic music, like Rush. :)
  7. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I grew up on Smashing Pumpkins and Green Day. Both great bands, IMO.

8. When I was a young'un I was into reggae hardcore I mean not just bob marley but the artist that you don't hear much of

Blue riddim , greggory issacs , burning spear , heptones , alpha blondy , steel pulse , black uhuru , .. etc many others too just so many to name

And before you ask no I did not have dreads although I would've liked too

Now days it's any music for me
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The First album I had was Snoop Dogg's 'welcome to the dogg pound'

I listened to it all the time, Also, I listened to a lot of nirvana, The Beatles, The presidents of the united states of america. Later, I got heavily into The mighty mighty bosstones and the aquabats, and then Primus after that.
  10. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I was in high school in the 80's. Bands like the Jam, The English Beat and Echo & The Bunnymen were bands I was really in to. I also really liked the Plimsouls too and still really like Peter Case's solo Folk / Blues stuff.

It still influences me in the way I play now.
  11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I was the odd kid in high school. While everybody else was getting into Nirvana, Pearl Jam, AIC, etc., I was getting into Pink Floyd, Ministry, Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, and Metallica.

Nirvana just put out a best of and a box set, which makes me realize my age. But then again, so did Britney Spears and Creed. What do all these "artists" have in common? They're all dead.
  12. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    As a kid (70's) I grew up on stuff like CCR, Fleetwood Mac, Boston, and whatever else my mom and stepdad listened to. Unlike most kids, I liked that music then and I still like it now. I guess I started to really like "my" music the first time I heard Metallica's Whiplash mini-album. WOW! I was blown away! My first album was AC/DC's Back In Black. I was a metalhead then. I admit that I have broadened my music taste quite a bit since then but I'm still a metalhead [​IMG] BTW, Class of '88 RULES! :D
  13. RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    The first two albums that I ever bought were Pearl Jam's "Ten" and Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Couldn't Stand the Weather." That was when I was about 10 or 12...and I've got to say, I still love both of those albums.
  14. flatwounds

Apr 22, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    When I was in grade 4 (1992), my father hired the movie HELP!...I was the only Beatlemaniac in primary school and High school. I finally turned one of my friends on to them in 2000.
  15. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    From Junior high --> High School.

Less than Jake
    Operation Ivy
    The Clash
    The Ramones
    Dropkick Murphys
    Dillinger Four
    The Toasters
    Mustard Plug
    Spring-Heeled Jack
    The Pilfers
    Mighty Mighty Bosstones
    Kid Dynamite
    Bad Brains
    At the Drive-In
    88 Fingers Louie.
  16. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I listened to Red Hot Chili Peppers, Therapy?, Primus, Pearl Jam and Guns N' Roses to mention a few bands when I started playing music.
    But my sister told me yesterday, that when she used to babysit me, she always put Iron Maiden or Dio on the stereo for me. I hated Duran Duran and Wham back then.
    Oh yeah, and I loved Twisted Sister when I was about..5 or 6.
  17. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    kool & the gang, talking heads, Duran Duran, Sade, Doe maar, Pink Floyd, Spandau Ballet :eyebrow: , typical 80's pop stuff. and all the crap that my parents listened to (my dad was a hifi-freak). momma's & the pappa's, stones, beatles, CCR, ELO, Bob Dylan etc. I find myself downloading all that stuff which i didn't really like back then. I became an amateur-musician because of bands like that and primus & RHCP.
  18. Back in my elementary school days I would listen to what was on the radio. And since it was the early 90's the alternative stations were good. Soundgarden, Faith No More, Alice in Chains, Smashing Pumpkins, ect.

Good stuff. Now look at the crap on the radio. :bawl:
  19. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I didn't really start listenign to music much until middleschool. My first few cd's were classical- Beethoven, Mozart, Vivaldi, Bach, adn teh like. My first non-classical album was the Squirrel Nut Zippers- a modern and edgy swing type band. Some of my early favs in rock were Presidents of USA, Metallica, the Eels, and teh Cranberries. I didn't get heavy into rock until midway through highschool.
  20. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I'm just a tad bit older than you Charles - I graduated HS in '93, but I was into music in grade school. One of the first albums that I ever really got into was Motley Crue - Shout At The Devil (on vinyl!) :bassist: and Twisted Sister's Stay Hungry was pretty cool to me right around the same time, along with a few other hard rock and pop rock bands. Then I went through a brief country phase where Hank Williams Jr. was the musical be all end all. Then in Junior High Metallica pulled me back into the metel world. Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, Suicidal Tendancies where all real big. Then onto Slayer and Pantera for favorites in early high school. Also, somewhere in there I developed quite an appreciation for The Beatles, Black Sabbath, The Eagles, Rush and several other "older" bands. Then Grunge broke. I grew up just outside Aberdeen Washington (in Montesano, actually) So Nirvana, Melvins, and Mud Honey where the hometown heros and I was very much into that stuff. I liked AIC too, and of course PJ. Every band I mentioned above was my favorite band at one time or another - and I still like them all.