1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bands you have seen that you’ll never forget, but,,,,

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Petro, Jan 23, 2021.

1. The Petro

The Petro

Dec 29, 2020
    CT
    not for the standard reasons.

My most memorable was seeing Bruce Dickinson solo at a club ( Toad’s place in New Haven, CT) sometime between 99 and 2001
    I was a Maiden fan growing up, but i didn’t really know much of his solo stuff. Adrian Smith was on the tour and man when he kicked into his lead channel, it was soo loud, i swear to this day my hair was blowing like the old BASF commercial with the guy in the chair listening to Beethoven.
    The other thing at this show that i remember was Bruce didn’t like anyone from the crowd on the stage. Some kid got on the stage and Bruce threw him right off.

The next show was Motley Crue at Hartford Coliseum. I remember because our friend Steve had this Pinto with such a loud stereo, that it was louder then the concert.

Our friend Steve was a massive Kiss fan. He got me a ticket for the Crazy nights tour in New Haven Coliseum. The day before the show, he had to cancel and gave his ticket to my friend John, who was another massive Kiss fan.
    Well, John’s girl at the time was going to the show with some friends , ( they had floor tickets, we were in the seats ). John was a little jealous i guess that he thought his girl might be cheating on him ( we were in high school at the time)
    Well, he ended up seeing her in the crowd from our seats and basically watched her the whole.
    It kind of ruined the show for me.

And the last one that comes to mind is seeing Dokken at the Monsters of Rock at Giants stadium. I liked the Dokken albums and was looking forward to seeing the show, but his voice sounded nothing like the albums and it severely ruined my attitude for them. That and it seemed like when Lynch did his solos he was facing the speakers instead of the crowd.

SonnieJ1966, feschyn, leto and 10 others like this.
  2. Mike JV

Mike JV

Mar 19, 2019
    I started playing bass in the summer of 1969 just before my junior year in high school. At the time, most of the junior high and high schools in our city were open during the summer about 2 nights a week where the local bands could come in and play. Neighborhood bands were everywhere back then! But it was at the local ice ring where the "bigger bands" would come and play. The Amboy Dukes (with Ted Nugent), Bob Seger, Third Power (Drew Abbott on guitar who later played with Seger) and a band called SRC to name a few. These were all local bands from the Detroit/Ann Arbor area who were all trying for the big time and they all had albums out. For us kids who were just learning these weren't just concerts or shows, these were events.

It was so memorable because it was so in your face and so new. No special effects, no effects pedals, primitive PA systems but I'll tell you, these bands played their tails off because they had to. And it was loud! Didn't know until years later how broke these guy actually were but just the fact they had albums out added fuel to the fire that was burning within all of us young punks back then.

You couldn't help but feel the spirit of those times. There was a lot of wonderment due the newness and to not knowing any better. All we knew was how much it stirred us and how much we wanted to be a part of it. Seemed like these guys were from a different world and we wanted in!

I'm seen some phenomenal live shows that I'll never forget. But it was those very early days and the spirit of those days that's the most memorable for me.

3. The Petro

The Petro

Dec 29, 2020
    CT
    Thanks for sharing. It does seem quite memorable putting it the way you did.

4. Mike JV

Mike JV

Mar 19, 2019
    Hey Petro, here's one thing I really remember. When talking about the primitive PA's back then, when I saw the Amboy Dukes they were using Dual Showman's for their PA! Had 2 of those cabinets on each side of the stage and for us kids it looked massive!! Probably sounded like crap but we didn't care!!

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...when I'm watching live performances from that era on YT...my wife will say "Why is everyone just sitting there...watching"?
    Because it was in your face, raw, and NEW!
    It coulda been Zeppelin, Deep Purple, The Doors, Uriah Heep, Golden Earring, The Beatles...

...and the crowd goes mild!

6. That’s an easy one: Fantômas in the Abart Zurich, July 2000.

The whole town, its boroughs, and neighboring cantons were covered in ad posters. They read something like this:

Fantômas. Live

mike patton
    FAITH NO MORE

dave lombardo
    SLAYER

buzz osborne
    MELVINS

trevor dunn
    MR. BUNGLE

You get the idea, they pushed the bands the musicians were well-known for, not, well, the project itself.

I got a pre-release of “Amenaza al Mundo”, so I knew what the music was all about. But due to the marketing, well, the club was full of Slayer and Faith No More fans. So far, so good. Opener was eX-Girl from Japan. And that’s where the weirdness started. Mike Patton was at the bar, having beers, while those three musicians went all Kero! Kero! Kero! onstage. The FNM-crowd nodded their collective heads, the Slayer people just drank more beer. One of my co-workers, who didn’t know about Fantômas but a lot about Faith No More, called his girlfriend on the cell and handed the phone to Patton, who was very suave, and nice, and talked in Italian a lot. Said friend was flabbergasted, but went all, hey, Midlife Crisis, yeah? My Mr. Bungle fanboy friend instead was very pale and seemed indecisive, then went to the loo.

Well, and then, Fantômas mounted the stage. Should you, dear reader, not know what their first album was like, well … there you are: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLho-hqjpOeVeBAFhT1tRWlDRuNSTpQPOb

Anyways. Chapter One started up, and there’s this horde of Slayer fans, complete in jeans jackets with torn off arms and decals and whatnot, going “SLAYER! SLAYER! SLAYER!” while Lombardo played the intro cymbals. Then, the band went into Chapter Two.

“SLAYER! SLAYER! SLAY … ERR? – SLAY … err? What the hells?”

Best concert ever. The music was great, naturally. All professionals, and very dedicated to their craft. And wow, I mean, the energy! Incredible! But what will always stay with me is this forest of Slayer fan arms going up, waving and pounding, stopping, and then walking to the bar for another drink, not even five minutes into the gig.

7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I saw Heart at Six Flags GA back in school and the guitarist (pretty sure it was Howard Leese) was duck walking and walked clear off the stage right side. He had to be helped up and you could hear the guitar kaboing but he finished the set.

8. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

My friend was a Fishbone fan, I am not.
    We went to their show & a well-known Punk band member was there just getting down.

We spoke to him between songs & I was sure he was high, but later heard that he was a teetotaler.
    I guess he loved the Music so much that it amped him up!

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Some concerts/shows that impressed me...In no particular order:

Jefferson Airplane (was in line just behind Jack Casady at a concession stand for a while)
    Yes
    The Grateful Dead
    Allman Brothers
    David Bromberg
    Tal Farlow
    Roy Buchanan
    Danny Gatton
    Lionel Hampton Orchestra (I ran sound for that one)
    Asleep At The Wheel (I did follow spot there)
    Mountain
    Black Sabbath
    Loggins & Messina
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    An organ recital at the Ocean Grove Auditorium (I don't remember the name of the organist)

10. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Does anyone remember the Fleshtones? And how much fun they unleashed in a show? I remember seeing them at 688 and I’m sure the crowd was way over capacity and at the end of the set they drummed and sang and marched out onto Spring street and for probably close to 15 minutes the road was blocked by hundreds of dancing fools of which I was one.
    As a musician I appreciate talent that is way over my level. But as a fan there’s nothing like seeing a band have a great time. It’s contagious.

11. marchone

marchone Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    Well said. I was born in 1951 so the 60s were my coming of age times. Three years of weekly Fillmore East shows, many other venues around town and a few unlikely ones. To wit, I saw The Yardbirds with Jimmy Page play at the Christ the King High School cafeteria. The Murray the K shows at the RKO 58th St theatre with Cream, The Who, Paul Butterfield, Al Kooper, and many others. Hendrix opening for The Monkees at Forest Hills Tennis Stadium. The Beatles at Shea Stadium twice. It goes on and on.

They were heady days indeed.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  12. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Maybe because, in Zeppelin’s case, it was a crowd of uptight Danish kids, and it’s not like either of those bands brought the funk; Buddy got even these Finnish kids moving...

Not to mention Otis in Sweden(I think that’s where it was)...

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I've seen a lot of bands over the years but in the early 90's, I saw The Yellowjackets (w/Jimmy Haslip), The Rippingtons (classic lineup) and Norman Brown in Long Island, NY. Was a great show. Sound was great and the performances were great.

Saw EW&F/Chicago show here in Virginia Beach. That was an amazing show! Also, back in the early 70's saw Kool & The Gang, James Brown and BT Express at the Apollo Theater in Harlem, NY.

JRA, Miles_ONeal, SonnieJ1966 and 4 others like this.
  14. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Hendrix, EW & F (every type of person in the world was there! Says something!), Joni Mitchell Shadows and Light Tour w/(Mays, Metheny, Elias, Brecker, Pastorius), Cold Blood, Miles Davis at the Cellar Door, Yellowjackets, Return to Forever with Bill Connors, Claude Jones, Crank, Grin with Nils, Mountain, Woodstock 1969, David Wilcox, Edmar Castenada if you play bass hear him and give up:).

SonnieJ1966, klaatu, 6tzguy and 6 others like this.
  15. 75Ric

75Ric

Feb 13, 2019
    Connecticut
    A few concerts over the years stand out for me. I saw the Doors when Jim Morrison got arrested in the New Haven Arena in 1967. Not much of a concert as they played only a couple of songs before the cops shut it down, but given it was my first concert ever, it was memorable.

In 1974 or 75, Linda Ronstadt played in a small meeting house in Vermont. There might have been 200 people in the audience. It was incredible. Her vocals live were better than the albums, I thought. She wore a cub scout uniform. I fell in love.

In the mid-90s, I saw Pat Metheny with Lyle Mays twice in both indoor and outdoor venues that bookended the year. They were touring and promoting a new album. In the first concert, I thought they were a bit rough. At the end of the year - same concert - they were incredibly tight. It's one of the few concerts at which truly I felt uplifted. Even pros get better over time.

A few months before COVID, I got the chance to see Vanilla Fudge perform at a small theatre in Connecticut. They hadn't lost a note over all the decades. I went with a group of friends I hadn't seen in years. That one was just a lot of fun.

16. Yeah, Filmore East. Band of Gypsys NYE 1969. So many others at the Filmore, NYC and surrounding area. I'm a 1954 model.

nixdad, DLowDunn, sleipnirus and 2 others like this.
  17. marchone

marchone Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    Yep. I went to the second show that weekend.

nixdad and maxschrek like this.
  18. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    "not for the standard reasons"...

Carly Simon / Pittsburgh / '80. She's known for her stage fright but it took its toll that night. She did the first show of a double-header: back to the audience, invited audience members to sit on stage with her, etc. On the drive home, we heard on the radio that the second show had been cancelled. It was the last time she performed in a true concert setting. Still a good show...

"Oh, Mother, say a prayer for me..."

Riis

19. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Saw U2 at Agora in Atlanta in 81. That’s about a year before they toured with Geils. Got to interview them for my high school paper. They were pretty green and homesick.

SonnieJ1966, MonetBass, GregC and 6 others like this.
  20. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Hilarious :roflmao:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021