Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bands you should like but can't get into...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    ...mine's Talking Heads.

I find that their songs are witty, they groove all right and I love bands that are quirky and weird, but there's something disjointed in TH that just doesn't click for me. To me, they sounds less like a band than four people playing at the same time. Also, most of the time, I hate David Byrne's singing.

You folks?

2. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    slayer.

I love thrash, but there's always been something about Slayer that really turns me off. There's the vocals, which I hate, but there's something more to it than that.

3. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    That Dream Theatre band. I usually love supurb instrumentalists, but that band can sound so cheesy at times.

4. Pearl Jam. I don't know why, but I just can't take much Pearl Jam.

5. +1

I do like alot of classic rock, Sabbath, Zeppelin, Queen...but
    I could never get into:

Rush
    Rolling Stones
    The Eagles

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

U2. The only album I like from them is "Zooropa" and the track "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me". Aside from that, never understood what's so great about them.

I highly respect Jimi Hendrix as a musician and I always mention him as an example of an artist who was ahead of his time. His playing is terrific, but I only could listen to his music after I started my life as a musician. Putting that aside and from the "strictly commercial" point of view, I'd say :meh:.

7. BIG +1

Amazing talent... Music as a whole is unlistenable (IMO)

8. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    The Doors, can't stand the organ. Morrison's lyrics never "touched me".
    The Stones anything after Sticky Fingers or Exile on Main St. w/ the exception of "Beast of Burden" but hey, a stopped clock is right twice a day.
    System of a Down, Love Aerials, hate everything else, still don't understand the tapeworm business. Art?

9. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Jethro Tull - great band, dumb songs. Can't dig Ian - srry

Grateful Dead - dumb songs

Coldplay, Dave Mathews, Alice In Chains, G&R, Oasis, REM

Stones - love Charlie and Ronnie, but Mick and Keith - eh

Rush - but at least they have interesting music -- NEVER let the drummer write the lyrics.

That's enuff - gosh I'm a negative sob! hahaha

10. Why? I think the instrument you play doesn't effect your role in songwriting. Although typically the sing/guitarist is the main writer anyone should be able to contribute. I happen to like Rush's lyrics.

11. I really wanted to like Creed.

A 4 piece guitar oriented rock band.

I really tried.

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    +1.

What's the instrument got to do with the lyric quality? :confused:

13. PeppermanL2K

PeppermanL2K ...and on the 8th day, God created the Habanero.

Feb 3, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    Well, actually, I'm a big Dream Theater fan, and I just can't get into Pink Floyd. I don't know... they bore me. :bag:

14. Or Ayn Rand for that matter.

15. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    hmmm, if you've only heard them on record then this is understandable. they were far too constrained by typical records. pick up their live album, live/dead and give it a listen. 23 minute version of dark star that blows my mind.

16. grateful dead and yes. theyre both amazing, but i have ADD and have a really hard time paying attention to all this, i get distracted extremely easily

rolling stones - keith and mick suck at life, so no, just wont work

17. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    the beatles

the rolling stones

pink floyd

jaco

Tool (though i LOVE APC)

18. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Elvis
    Rush
    Tool
    YES
    Deep Purple
    The Rolling Stones [the only stones song I like is "paint it black"]
    Weather Report
    Miles Davis

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I used to really like them - but I think they were very much :

"of a time"

- they were great in that era, but have become dated and David Byrne plays different things now....:meh:

As to the more general question, what really surprised me on TalkBass was how a lot of people here liked Rush - whereas I always hated them and thought them one of the worst bands I've ever heard - talk about an annoying voice!!

When I was actually into Prog Rock, all my friends thought the same and I simply cannot understand what anybody sees in them - the more I have heard, the worse they sound to me!! :confused:

20. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    U2

I'm sorry, everytime I hear them I think "yeah, so?"