Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bands you will like a few years down the road...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Maybe I'm alone on this, it's a strange topic, but are there any bands you feel in their current formation aren't what you wish for, but in a few years you'll dig.

Example? Mine? Tool.

As some of you remeber, I made a thread about how I'm the only one of my friends who doesn't worship Tool. I just think they are OK. They don't do much for me, right now. They seem to have a formula they've stuck to for the past two albums that leads a lot of the songs to really blend together for me. Flashy (cool) drums, weird (often very similar to me) timed riffs. OK, cool. But they seem in a bit of a rut. For all I know, their new album will turn me into a believer, I mean hell, they've matured a helluvalot since Opiate. But I don't think they are there yet. By there I mean good enough for me. But I like some bands "of lesser talent" but they do their style well, to me Tool is attempting a style they dont' fully understand yet, but once they get it, it will be fantastic. And they will no doubt go beyond that. I guess that's why I don't like Tool that much, plus OVERKILL from my friends/every frat boy who thinks they are metal.

I like them as is, but I'm curious what the Mars Volta will be doing in about 7 years.

Sadly, it seems many of these MTV generation band are burning out faster than they showed up, but we have to take into account, when we turn on "classic rock radio" in the future, this is what we will hear. But the problem is, as soon as these bands lose any steam, the labels drop them, giving them a very short lived career, and that's terrible. Back in the day, a band/artist could make 3 albums that would flop and they'd still have a job the next day. But that's another tirade for another blah blah blah.

Any other examples of bands who, in your opinion, haven't fully developed.

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    This Moment in Black History.

These guys have great potential, searing synth/key riffs with garage rock/punk backing could mean a new breath of life for independent rock. Their potential has been glanced at, but never realized.

Gorch Fock

Part hardcore, part metal, part prog with trombone. They could be tremendous but they need to cut some of the fat out of their sound and refine it more.

Flogging Molly

They're already a great band, but I don't know any other bands (aside from the Pogues) that could do consistently great paddy-rock, and they get better with every album! With the Pogues it was a slight start-up and then they were strong until Shane left. But Flogging Molly just get better and better with each album, discounting my fear that they'll get into a rut. Listening to the new album, I'm really excited for what their next one is going to be. It's hard to say whether they're the kind of band that will release a masterpiece album, or the kind that will just provide a steady string of really strong ones.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Good call, I see that in a lot of weird indie rock bands. They have a lot of creativity, but are somewhat new to their instruments (or they sound like it :eek: ). I know some people like that. My friend Shannon has some amazing ideas on piano, she just isn't always able to execute them. So yeah... Shannon... she has potential. ;)

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    When Ashlee Simpson learns to play air guitar she's going to be incredible.

brad cook

5. Matt, It's very wierd you should mention. With me, I'm constantly chided for being "late to the game" with artists. I used to read about so many new acts in so many different genres, and would make mental footnotes on about all of them... sometimes I would be adventurous and go right out and buy the record.

Oftentimes I've been burned on sub-par offerings as a result. But as for the "buzz" bands, I steer clear until the buzz dies down. If my musically facist friends are still chatting them up in all their opinionistic NME-attentionspan style glory 6 months later, I prolly pick the stuff up.

Now that I have Sirius, I hardly see the need to dig thru bins. I get more than my 10 bucks a month in BRAND NEW jems every week, if not day. The songs that get stuck in my head down the line I will pick up. I've gotten into many bands years after the buzz died down (and often lament missing the opportunity to see them live) But it works for me, and my buying dollar isn't wasted on crap.

6. My band would be totally huge if we could come up with a name and then we could open for Whitesnake and then we can change the future like Wylde Stallyns or something.

Hey, that's a great name!

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Good post, I'm really the same way.

I always miss the "movement", but I'll later pick up stuff from the cream of the crop. Though I think a lot of the "saviors" of music are horrible reditions of older sounds (The Strokes, The Vines, The Hives, etc).

I skipped the whole "grunge" (really a stupid label) era and went to classic rock, then metal, and only in the last year have I found out that I love Alice in Chains and Morphine to death.

Same thing with jazz, experimental stuff, and modern rock and roll. Well if I can at least see both Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and Clutch live then I'll die a happy man.

8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hmmmm kinda wishing dave mathews band would come back! First few albums were awsome but then out of the blue a huge stinker with there last one! Kinda hope no doubt will get another singer since the weak link in the band is gone now!

9. Right? Most of my laments come from the realization that labels just suck, and me being late to the game, along with others, don't get the opp. to see these great bands because they're dropped after tepid initial response.

It's always that way. I was lucky enough to see Ned's Atomic Dustbin on what ended up to be their very last tour. I saw them in Providence, RI, and a week later, they broke up onstage in California!

Alas, I'm not always so lucky. I usually go to shows if someone has an extra ticket...if not, I get by on Music Choice and stuff culled from NetFlix and trips to Borders.

Bleh. At least that way I can watch it over and over, and won't get beer spilled on me (Goddamn I'm a crotchety old man) ;)

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I didn't really listen to the radio or MTV when I was younger, so I did miss the boat on a few bands. But the only ones I really regret missing are Soundgarden and Morphine.

11. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I've never heard a song but I can see me getting into King Crimson and possibly Peter Gabriel

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I think Morpine could appeal to a huge audience. I still don't understand why they aren't more popular in the technical sense.

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I think The Mars Volta and MudVayne will be better in a few years if they last that long. Both have lots of potential, but have so far failed to reach it.

On the other hand, if you want a fully developed band right out of the box that will blow you away, look into Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. They've put out two albums that have blown my ass off the map. They are the only band that I've ever heard that I wish I was actually in.

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Ever heard the live album? It's pretty cool, some weird stuff, stand up comedy/ranting, and great extended versiond of Baby Doctor and Sleep is Wrong.

15. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I think MudVayne definately showed their musical abilities on the last album (End of All Things to Come). Ryan Martinie and their drummer (Greg? No, that's the guitarist. Anyways...) definately held the music together.

16. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I have it. I will be seeing them this month as part of my birthday celebrations on the 19th. Woohoo!

17. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I absolutely love the simple little bassline at the beginning of Trapped in the Wake of A Dream. Very catchy, no? Ryan definately did well.

18. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Scurvy Dog.

Well, I'll just see them the next time they stop off in Jacktown, i.e never. :D Somehow I don't think Baby Doctor would go over well with the predominately folkish/blues scene around here, but who knows.

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    They were in Ft. Worth last weekend at the Wreck Room...which is where I saw them last time with Skeleton Key. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it up there this time due to some long-standing plans I'd made with other people. :( They are incredible live.

brad cook

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    *Holds up smoking, charred ass.*

Does this belong to anybody??

brad cook