Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bands

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LimpyBizkit397, Apr 26, 2001.

1. Rock

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. Classic Rock

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. Jazz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ska

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. Pop

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Heavy Metal

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  7. Blues

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Country

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Mixture of one or more

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  10. Other

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. Im only 13 and I live in the Ma area, how am I supposed to find a band to play in. I wannna start one but I don't have really anyone to choose. Because the only people I know that play instruments really well, suck at it, and they don't play as good as me I don't think.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Limpy- I guess you mean "people you know really well who play instruments don't play them worth a patoot"? (not, "they suck at playing instruments really well"?).

You all are awfully crowded up there in the NE, (my brother lives just outside of Boston, in Sherborn). Aren't there some music stores where you can post on the bulltetin boards? That's one really good way to get going. Aslo, www.themode.com will let you look for people in your area and find other people looking for musicians in your area.

Maybe the people you know really suck, but we all did/do at one time or another.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Three ways to go on this, Limp Biscuit. First, does your school have a bulletin board where you could post an announcement that you are looking for other musicians to form a band...I presume from your screen name...a nu metal band.

Second, go to a music store. Most places that sell instruments have a bulletin board as a public service to their customers. Put up an announcement, but be clear about your age and experience. Otherwise you might get calls from folks my age wanting to play in a nu metal band and I don't think you'd want a 57 year old...though I did play in a nu metal band for a few years. Be clear, too, on the style of music you want to play, if you will play covers or originals and if you plan to do gigs. Be aware at your age, many venues will not accept you as you are underage.

If you have a teacher ask him/her, because music teachers often know other students of similar skill and experience who are looking to start a band.

Lastly, be open to the idea of playing with musicians who "suck." They may get better if you help them and if you have patience with them. Also, until you find better musicians, these may still give you an opportunity to work on new songs or just practice with other musicians.

Besides, your guitarist may suck, but maybe he can write good songs. Your drummer may suck, but maybe he can drive and take you to gigs or practice. Your singer may suck, but maybe he has a pretty girlfriend who comes to practice and brightens up your life. Don't rule out opportunities with a close minded attitude. Luck comes both from being prepared and from serendipity.

jason oldsted

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Has anyone else here noticed that LIMPY'S polls never have anything to do with his threads. Not saying that there's anything wrong with that, just an observation.

5. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    I play in a band whose music is could be described best as punk-pop. I don't mind playing punk but it gets a bit boring after a while. I wanna get used to playing fingerstyle and thumb funk, that's where the groove lies.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

And these polls always leave out the one category you might have been in yourself !! :mad:

This is a typical example - loads of people here , play in Latin bands - like myself, Gard, PacMan, Marty Forrer just to name a few and in threads on this subject, lots of others have talked about this. So of course - this is the category that is missing!

These polls are just a waste of space and I think moderators should just delete them, when they don't relate to the question asked.

7. It seems like punk is another popular one around here. Look to your left! I'm a member now! Sorry, I'm just really proud of that.