1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bands

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bass guy, Apr 23, 2006.

1. bass guy

bass guy

Apr 17, 2006
    tel us about ur band

2. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    How about you tell us about your band.

3. bass guy

bass guy

Apr 17, 2006
    im not in one

4. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    broke, our guitarists parents have a fair amount of cash (more than either mine or the drummers families) I have more musical training in the classical and jazz area's as well as theory training than my two compatriots and our drummer is a metronome. we don't have a set style in the rock vain and seem to go aroung from pop-punk, grunge, and metal. we're basically "alternative", we play mainly originals and practice quit often. gearing up to play our second show at the atlanta Masquerade. hope to draw a large crowd.

5. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    see the first two links in my sig.

6. I play upright bass in a bluegrass band along with a guy who is amazing on banjo, and a pretty good guitarist. We haven't been playing together for very long, but it's fun! A good break from alot of other music I play.

7. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Alt. rock-ish-ness.

2 guitarists, me (bass) and drummer.

Very rare that we practice due to differing school & work scheduals. We got together twice this week which was an accomplishment for us. We usually practice in the drummer's basement because there is a ton of pro audio equipment we can use and play through which means less stuff to haul back and forth. I was the last member to join, around Thanksgiving.

8. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    www.bournemouthgigs.co.uk/hosted/perm
    (we haven't got the domain name set up properly yet!)
    Let me know what you think of the website though - I built it, and its all set to automatically update, so the gallery shuffles round, and the gig listings are kept up to date automaticaly - nothing worse than seeing last years gigs on a band's website!

Straight ahead, classic heavy rock covers. Regular gigs, great bunch of guys with no attitudes or aspirations beyond putting on a good show. Lots of talent there, and it's the music I grew up with.

I've only been with them a month or two - the old bass player retired, so I'm still the "new guy". The setlist will definatly evolve - we're all agreed to shed some of the ploddy numbers, and get some more modern fun stuff in there.

Ian

9. http://semperfis.tk

2 rythmic guitarists (one acoustic and one electric), lead guitar, bass/vocals, drums, keys. We practice once a week.

10. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    see the links in my sig

11. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Very funny!

There are no links in your sig!

12. RyansDad

RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    I play in a band with a guy who plays banjo. His friends call him Bela. Maybe you heard of him?

In the real world, however, I play in a heavy rock band with an electrical engineer, a fireman, and guy who works at subway.

13. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Heavy metal band,2 guitarists,a drummer,singer and me.We like it loud so that a studio manager told us not to go there again :p We're getting ready for the first gig,fighting everytime we get together,drinking after the practices.Well I had a dream once but...:bawl:

:D

14. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
  15. Funniest band ever...(because how much we fail:D)

Name: The Cunning Runts (We've changed names due to copyright laws about 3 times now)
    Years playing together: 1 year
    Members: Paul (drummer), Me (bass/guitar...because we don't have a guitarist i play the guitar for recordings until we find a guitarist fit for the band:p)

we can't find a guitarist that's not a d**khead.
    all at my school, they are either bad or just plain d**kheads.

So yeah. Pretty crap band there:p

16. Skepp

Skepp

Apr 6, 2006
    visit www.radiation.cjb.net, yes i know it's in Swe, go to "Media and download Saints And sinners demo! thx

17. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

My "band" is a one-man virtual band right now. I have nothing new recorded yet, but the music is generally a strange cross of folk-unblack metal, jazz fusion, and Rush-esque prog, though I pretty much do whatever I want with it. There are a couple of songs I'm completing which can be pulled off on just the bass and vocals, but the rest is being done virtually.

My real band right now is a worship band out of my church, all I have time for right now, but time well spent for myself.

18. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
  19. I just got a little jazz trio together. The lineup is trumpet, sax and myself on bass. We play funk/jazz and being the only rythmic, chordal and percussive player is quite a challenge but a whole lot of fun. It really drives me to come up with groovey driving bass lines.