1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bands??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Matt_1, May 26, 2002.

1. Matt_1

Matt_1

Oct 14, 2001
    Berlin, Germany
    Hi!
    Well, I played in a rock/hard rock band for a while but I actually like to hear more punk/ska/raggae music. So I would like to change my playing style and I am seraching for a band that like`s these styles too. My question is, how can I get into this new playing style, do I have to consider about something, are there any tricks or spezial techniques or something??

Hope you understand my english is not the best!

Greetz form germany and keep TalkBass alive!

Matt

2. i play in a ska band and listen to it all the time, and i think most ska bassists (including me) tend to stick to arpegio type bass lines in songs, and play one of the 2 extreme types of rythem; playing on the beat, and sticking to the rhythm of the music. or playing extreme shuffle and complicated rhythms.

in my experience ska is mostly played finger style, sometimes slap, but very rarely with a pick.

as far as tone goes, when playing finger style try to keep it nice and bassy and full sounding, and with slap, more tinny sounding, of course you don't HAVE to play like this, this is only what the majority does.

just play it, have fun, and enjoy the rhythm!

hope this was helpfull, if you didn't understand some of it just say :)

l8rz

Tom

3. Matt_1

Matt_1

Oct 14, 2001
    Berlin, Germany
    Hey Tom!
    Thanks for your answer! :) what are arpegio type bass lines in songs??? Is it an artist ???

see ya
    Matt

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    the best way IMO to learn another style of music is to saturate yourself with it. By listening to it over and over again, you will better understand whats being done in that style of music. You'll also develop an emotional connection to that style of music. You cant quite play a reggae or jazz line if you dont know what one feels/sounds like right?

If my memory serves correctly an arpegiated line is one that uses the arpeggios of a scale tone. I-III-V-VIII.

5. You will find with at least reggae that it isnt what you play as much as it is how you play it. Its all about the soft touch to get that nice low warm thud. Playing on the upbeat would be a good start.

6. arpegios are bassically what cassanova said,

and what i forgot to say is again what cassanove said, listen to ska a LOT, listen to what the different bassists are doing, see what you like, and work off it, mix styles you like and do what YOU like

L8rz

Tom

7. Matt_1

Matt_1

Oct 14, 2001
    Berlin, Germany
    Would you suggest me any Bands? I hear a lot of Mighty Mighty Bosstones,Furillo, Sublime, Operation Ivy (Ska?) and surely Mr.Marley!
    Thanks to all of you for your support!!!:p

8. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Im not sure where this should be put but it doesnt belong in technique.

9. well if you like ska but want smething a bit different you should give Cake a try, some great bass (not flashy, but good).

10. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    If you like punk or ska,you chould check out these bands...

Five Iron Frenzy
    Strung Out
    Refused
    Mustard Plug
    Catch 22
    International Noise Conspiracy
    NOFX
    Bigwig
    Reel Big Fish
    Save Ferris

and many more...

11. Matt_1

Matt_1

Oct 14, 2001
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanx, I`ll check that out! Uhhhm, sorry this threat belongs to "change of style"!!!:eek:

12. Did Someone say SKAAAAAAA!!!!!!!! OWOWOWOWOW!!!!!

Kemuri
    Chinkees
    Toasters
    Pilfers(craaaazy, a little hard to hear the bass though)
    Bim Skala Bim
    Spring Heeled Jack
    Less than Jake
    Specials

Most of ska, as said before, is based on arpeggios, but there's also some root-fifth-octave stuff, technically, its not that hard. But ska is really all about groooooove! If you can drop your notes in the right place to get the people skanking, it don't matter what you play. If you listen to some ska bands and isolate the thing that makes you most want to get up and dance, and then translate that into your lines, that will make you a great bassist! Ska is really based on the off beat, and the tension created by the drums bass and guitar.

Its a little hard for me to describe exactly what it is that you need to do when playing ska. It's more of a skill you develop and have from your own experience, that can't really be defined in words.

A lots of punk is I-IV-V, but some of it also uses arpeggios etc. Basically all you need to do in punk is keep the notes coming and the audience against the wall.

EDIT:Forgot to add, Pickitup pickitup pickitup.