Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bang for the Buck Arsenal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Since I picked up my Peavey USA Millennium the other day, I think that now I have the best dollar per dollar bass arsenal I have ever owned since I also own a Tribute L-2500. Between the both of them I have spent right at $1,100, yet I now have access to P, J, MM, and Lakland bass tone. This is all with basses that are easily gig quality. My Peavey, in particular, was originally a $1,600 bass when first introduced.
    Who else feels they own exceptionally good value instruments?

2. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Sorry, posted in the wrong section.

3. Reverend Rumblefish (no longer available.) I paid a total of $1,250 for the two 'Fish I have, and I'll take either one of them over every $3,000 bass I've played.

4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I think you have to put a price tag on value and whether or not you're talking purchasing new or used. I've seen some ridiculous deals on some used Pedullas that were mind blowing to me, but again, it's all relative to the dollar amount. There really are a number of amazing values out there, to the point that I probobly would never purchase new ever again.

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Personally, I was refering to great new basses that have quality beyond the price on their stickers. I think that a forum like Talkbass is great because it makes alot of information available to people. The downside is that one can read this forum and end up thinking that no bass is really worth buying unless it is $1,700+. Just like my USA Millennium was a hidden gem, I know many other people have bought less heralded basses that can hang with big name instruments.

Still, buying used is a wonderful way to get a great instrument at a great price. This is especially true of less high profile instruments like Reverends. I played a Reverend once and was really impressed with its traditional Fender type of vibe.

6. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Great post! I love this topic as I am in "value" 'accumulation mode lately. Here are my key value players:

Aria Pro II SB-1000 - Irreplicable and amazing craftsmanship

Aria Pro II TSB-550 - A passive 32" scale SB-1000

Peavey Axcelerator Fretless 4- Whoa! Lots of vibe and tone. Super light weight ande high tech as well

Brice V2 Fretless 6 - Probably the best and most bass I have owned dollar for dollar in my life

Yamaha BB5000AFL - NO longer made but for $800 in 1994 I got $2000 worth of bass. They are about $450 on ebay these days.

1998 MIM Fender J - If you can get past the sill Strat-style pot knobs, a super heavyweight for a great price used.

On the wish list and to be acquired in due time:

Ibanez ATK 4 and/or 5

More Aria Pro II's

G&L Tribute 5

EBMM SUB Fretless

Peavey Dyna Bass (waiting for the right one at the right price to appear in my life)

Peavey T-40

Ibanez Musicians

Ibanez Roadstars

7. as i have a peavey cirrus BXP, i contend for the title. i also have a washburn lyon P copy with a bartolini pickup. hard to beat that for thick, fat tones. but the cirrus has cirrus tone and a great feel for a lot less than it costs.

robb.

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    as halftooth said, there are amazing bargains out there used (relative to 'new' price) in pedulla, elrick models to name two.

But if we're saying best bang for buck new, I'd have to give a big shout out to the KSD range of basses. Geddy Lee Jazz is a great value for money bass also.