Bang goes Ashdown MAG - in with the new gear?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmanUK, Jan 8, 2006.

1. bassmanUK

Dec 16, 2005
    Tamworth UK
    Hi guys, now im all happy with my Bongo, im looking to upgrade the rest of my rig, the reason being my Ashdown rig died on me last week. Although just guess I think something went in the head which took out the 3 speakers AND the horn. I tried my old trace head and that too sounded awful. The reason I suspect the head is that all the speakers have gone. (note I take good care of my gear and don’t rag the nuts out of it).

Current, busted gear is
    Ashdown MAG300 2x10 combo
    Ashdown MAG 1x15 deep cab

MM Bongo 4
    Ibanez SR300DX

Currently playing rock covers and in a Foo Fighters tribute, to give you an idea of the sound im after.

Ill admit, the aim was always to upgrade to Ashdown’s ABM range, but I guess my rig dying has put me off, perhaps unfairly towards Ashdown but you know being human these things tend to piss me off.

So what do I get? Im thinking 300-500w range, I would like a separate head this time, easier to change and maybe a single 4x10 cab.

Budget of about £1000, perhaps a little more at a push.

But what to get? Kruger? New Trace? ABM? Hartke? Im at a bit off a loss to be honest. So many music shops carry a crap range of stuff to try being a sole this or that dealer.

At the moment I have a Warwick CCL combo on loan, and it actually sounds bloody fantastic! But it’s a little underpowered for what I need. Maybe stick with Warwick? Anyone got any experience?

Ashdown have my gear to see what went wrong and if they fancy charging me to fix it. Apparently some early MAG amps had this problem and Ashdown return them fixed and upgraded. Prop just bollox from the guy at the shop.
  2. bassmanUK

Dec 16, 2005
    Tamworth UK
    Of course, once the MAG stuff comes back I could keep either the head or speakers as another option and buy a new head/speakers
  3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Lots of people have had trouble with Ashdown cabs. I think the head is probabally OK, try it out on another cab if you can.
  4. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Oh man, it was only a few days ago I gave this combo the "Amp most likely to spontaniously explode" award in the year in review for 2005. It's true, the early ones did seem to have this problem, speaking with store owners I had no less than four accounts of exploding combos.

New trace isn't quite on general release yet, as soon as it is, I'll get back to you on it, word is that they're very good though. Have you thought about old Trace though? You can get amazing bang for your buck out of the old Trace range and they're excellent amps still.
  5. bassmanUK

Dec 16, 2005
    Tamworth UK
    Is the ABM range in a diff league then? The Ashdown endorsements listing is impressive
  6. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    The ABM heads are much better and made in England.

7. kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    The new Markbass stuff is amazing. High end gear at great prices. :)
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I tihnk the heads are fine, i dont trust the cabs though.
  9. kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    Any particular reason ? Have you tried the new (yellow cone) Markbass cabs ?

These cabs have been compared favourably to the Epifani Neos (especially in build quality) on the Db forum.

I am so happy with mine. :D