Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Banged up bass?..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tecx, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Well I just noticed another notch out of my '79 roadstar II, I always feel bad and kind of ****ty when it happens... But then I think about how fender chagers like a grand for relics, and I laugh... So, what is everyones take on old basses looking old, and silly relics and all...

Alex

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I think its just that- silly. Lets charge more cause we beat teh bass up FOR you. :rolleyes:

3. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Thank god, another person who feels the same... I know, it is kinda crazy... I played a '53 p-bass relic the other day, and I lauged the whole time... I own a bass that was made in the seventy's and it looks it, naturaly...

Alex

4. Personally, I love the look of a good old beat up bass. If my bass was like that, I'd welcome it with open arms (err... hands). I would never purposely do it to my basses though. I'll just let time take its course.

5. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Exactly...

Alex

6. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i prefer a worn in bass,not an abused one,its cool if the paint is worn away or the finish on the neck is a,most gone, but as far as beat up looking or purposefully "reliced" basses they look either abused or "fake" to me,either buy an old one or take your newer one and play the hell out of it till it wears out.i dont know, whadda-ya think?:confused:

7. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    slightly related, but kinda off topic. I got dragged to the mall by one of my female friends and noticed a trend of pre-faded and pre-dirty jeans. It's not just the guitar world paying more for pre-beaten/aged things. It's insane! I don't see the point in paying more to have stuff that ain't new!

8. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    What geezer said. This whole relic thing is BS. Play the crap of the bass and wear it proud.

Dan

9. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    yeah - what geezer said. there's nothing cooler than an old fender jazz bass that's had the finish worn off by sweat and hard work. (except maybe a rickenbacker in similar condition) i guess i didn't realize they are selling "preworn" basses. how stupid.

isn't that what the abercrombie and fitch chain does? sell "worn" clothing? i'm waiting to see the tshirts that i wore as a jr. high p.e. student at a catholic school show up on their racks with a $40 price tag.

but i digress. . .
    yeah, doesn't make much sense to try to give a bass a soul, or a story straight from the factory.
    be well everyone, matt

10. I like the look of "beat" basses (You cant top a "beat" P bass)

I would never deliberlty damage a bass but the markings of time give a bass character (sp?).

11. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea, I think relics are a waste of money. If I want a banged up bass, I can do it myself, but I hate when i chip the paint on my bass.

12. Hey Im wearing a pair of those right now, I like the pre faded Jeans, I think they look pretty good in a sense, And they dont feel as stiff as a pair of brand new jeans. Now how about acid washed jeans... or jeans with holes all over them, now thats 80's stylee.

13. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    thanks for backing me up guys,i agree with the whole "soul" thing,a vintage or gig worn bass has a past,a new one purposefully worn in all the "right" spots to me just dont jive like a 25 yr old J OR P/BASS thats been "loved":meh:

14. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Yah those have been trendy for quite awhile. I wear my dark dark blue jeans until tehy are practically white, and then use them as a canvas for portable art :D. I', half done with the pair I'm wearing.:)

15. I don't want a worn out bass, unless i'm the one who wore it out.........that said, i'm giving up on taking care of my bass. i think worn out basses are cool, but only if it's a result of legitimate usage

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    IMO, I see nothing wrong with it. I've played alot of Custom Shop Fender's Ri-Issues (Relics, Closet Classics & New Old Stocks) & they play & sound alot better then then the newer USA basses.

If I was looking for a beat up looking 60's bass, I'd pay about $2000 for a Custom Shop Relic as opposed to about $6000+ for the real thing:bassist:

17. someday, i wanna have an ol' beat-up fender, with the finish all worn off and stuff. however; i want it to be worn away from me playin' the crap out of it, and doing what i love. not because i shelled out some extra money for it to look cool. i'd feel like a fraud if i did that.

18. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    :) I agree except for the fraud part

19. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    HAHAHAHA!... Man I hate that, they look like the cloaths I wear - but they cost 300% more.... Gota love free enterprise... But I love second hand shops more...

Alex

ps. less $$$ on jeans = more $$$ on bass... :)

pss. man, this is a great thread!..

20. aleyman

aleyman Guest

Nov 1, 2002
    PA
    Ah Tecx, I loved your Roadstar!!!

Alex :D