Banjo Bass.... HA!!!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RawBassist, Oct 28, 2003.

1. RawBassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Ok so i was browsing my new Musicians Friend catalog and came across this wacky piece of wood and skin. I didn't know they did this kinda thing. Any ideas on how it would sound or play? What do ya think all you TBers?

Banjo Bass site
  2. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Dude.. that's crazy! I wanna try it! I bet it has a very pronounced "plucky" thump to it. If you have ever heard the Shamisen, it is about halfway between bass and banjo in range, and is of similar construction to a banjo, only with 3 strings.:bassist:
  3. 600.00 bucks? No way.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've played a fretless bass banjo just like that. Pretty cool, actually. It sounds kind of like an upright mixed with a banjo. Not alot of sustain, but alot more low end than you would think.

I'm going to get one when I form my bluegrass tribute band to Bon Jovi....Banjovi!!!:D

[hick voice]
    "Ye-haw!! Livin' on a pray-er!"
    [/hick voice]
  5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Honestly, how well could a low frequency banjo resonate?!?

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The instrument pictured is the Bass Banjo made by a co.called Goldtone.I own one and I've been working with them on some serious R&D and some interesting colors for a newer model, as well as putting some sound bites together for their thing I have to say the Bass Banjo is Funky and yes! it has a very plucky sound it's featured on my Debut Cd that seems to be taking forever :)I along with Victor Wooten and Dave Pomeroy were the first to own one/ check them out.I was told by the guy that make Basses for Goldtone that I was one of the three they had on their list for this instrument ,I really dig's featured on Dave Pomeroy's latest CD.I'ts so kool and interesting that it reminds me of how I was when I first started playing Bass
  7. MyNameIsMUD

Sep 25, 2003
    Now that's what Les Claypool needs...:p
  8. He's already been there and done that
  9. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I would definitely want to hear some sound bites before considering buying one. I also think that $600 is kinda steep.

It looks like it's an open back, aka. doesn't have a resonator. I think it would probably get more low end if it did have one. Maybe Jauqo III-X could clear that up for us.

I also think that the very large thumb rest would seriously interfere with the resonance of the head. You would probably want to use a pick with one of these too, so the thumb rest seems kind of dumb to have. Am I seeing things, or does it look like theres a pickup under the head near the neck?

Overall, it seems like it would be a novelty instrument, after all, who would take you seriously?
  10. MyNameIsMUD

Sep 25, 2003
    Then where have I been.. :confused:

I had a feeling he did as soon as it was posted. lol

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The new ones do have a resonator and yes it gives it more Bass response(without it the Bass response is thin and wide open)the thumb rest does not get in the way, the shell is a drum shell.there is a pickup under the shell and it slides for various position settings.Im working with EMG on a new pickup.
    the instrument is as serious as the player interested in it.
  12. i've played one, and i would sooner buy this than another acoustic bass guitar. good funky tone. i don't think $600 is too pricy at all.
  13. I played one one of those a few times. It ruled. $330 seemed a bit pricey for what I had deemed at the time a 'novelty' instrument. I really should bought it. Tapping really sounded kinda cool on it, too.
  14. My thoughts, exactly. We didn't put a thumbrest on Godin's A4/A5 for that reason.
  15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I should get one for the Bluegrass band I play in!!