Bar Gigs from a different perspective.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Tejano Joveno, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Tejano Joveno

Tejano Joveno

Jun 20, 2008
    San Antonio
  2. LowG

LowG

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    This is fantastic!

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Sounds about 99% correct. Not sure what 1% is missing, but there has to be a flaw there somewhere.

4. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Funny stuff. True, all true...and funny.

5. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Huh glad we don't do these multi-band gigs.

Show up an hour before the show ... set up and sound check in 45 min play 3.1/2 hours teardown and out in 29 min.

:smug: ... Damn it's nice playing with pros

6. SpecialEdd

SpecialEdd

Apr 14, 2008
    Bobby and the Blowjobs, of course! And all this time I've been looking for the right name....

</sarcasm>

7. Wow... I wish that we had a bar in town that was as super professional as the amazing bar that is complaining (after seeing pictures of the bar I actually DO wish we had a bar like that, sans rednecks).

Unfortunately, we don't have dedicated 'rock' bars. We have a few bars that will have bands play, but there are issues with all of them. For instance, sound man that is never on time (yay!).

8. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    definitely a bar gig.
    hilarious!

9. I looked at all the pics on their site, the old bar looks like a great place to hang out, the remodeled place looks like what a bar owner THINKS is a great place to hang out.

10. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Very Very true. I think most of us have been "that band" at one point, especially regarding not having a draw.

I've met some pissant bar owners/managers, but I've seen most of the stuff on this list multiple times also.

11. nice

12. I live in STL and know quite a few people that have played there. Actually my nephew did his first show there recently. Its a venue that tends to cater to the younger band/crowd so they end up with a lot of high school bands and/or very inexperienced bands. Most of their shows are of the 3-4 bands in 4 hour type and those are almost always a freaking mess anyway. Best way to get some gear stolen is doing one of these.

But that being said, I thought most of the list was pretty spot on from what I've seen many bands do and/or say. This list really reinforces one of the most important things in the music business, "Be Professional". Its amazing how just doing that will seperate you from about 80% of the bands out there without even playing a note.

13. hamertek98

hamertek98

Apr 3, 2004
    Indiana
    I didn't know Ed Roman owned a bar.

14. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    lol. That list was awesome!

15. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    +1

16. Been there. I'm glad I'm more professional, older, more mature........OK, just older.

17. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    I have a hard time disagreeing with him....

18. Gary Way

Gary Way

Jun 8, 2007
    You're band is only as good as you're last gig.

19. ezrs

ezrs

Sep 24, 2008
    no wonder they are complaining!
    this is 'the underage bar' of that city, or it certainly looks it.
    young bands don't know how to act professionally because they simply are not professionals!

not to be too harsh, but they cater to a certain demographic.
    with young bands you get immaturity. they should give this list to every band they book, because it looks like they may need it.

20. Wow - I've been a St. Louis musician for more years than I like to admit and even in my youngest most naive days never behaved like the bands they describe!

I haven't played the Creepy Crawl (and probably won't, since it seems like my band's too old to play there), but if I ever do, I am going to bring those poor souls some chicken soup and a binky! Seems like someone there could use a hug (and a band who behaves professionally and draws a crowd!).

Although, I don't know if I feel all that good about trying to get a gig there after seeing there "side project" comment! That's the very band (my 'side project band') I am thinking would be perfect for that place! But now... I don't know... I'm sorta scared. However - my 'side project band' is made up of adults - seasoned pros who've been around not only the St. Louis scene - but even further out - like Belleville! Even Farmington! So we're not your average band of rubes here...

But the comment about "parents talking the owner's ear off" - PARENTS? What is this place, a bar or a day care? They're complaining about sub-par, sub-pro bands and they're booking bands who need their parents to drive them to the gig? What is it they were expecting? U2?

Me either...

On a side note - I know there are many other St. Louis venues where the staff is not nearly as jaded. Blueberry Hill, Cicero's, The Lucas School House, and more - lot's of venues that cater to original local bands and bend over backwards to accommodate them and who don't feel the need to post a snarky, snotty rants about how local bands suck the life otta them on their website... Ho boy...

Who was talking about unprofessional behavior? I'm confused now...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021