1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Bar gigs - how long does your band break for?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by drpepper, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    We usually just play two sets, with about 10 minutes in between.

2. Our breaks are usually too long, but our sets are often too long as well. We usually start the night planning on nice 45 minute sets with short breaks in between, but the crowd usually ends up dictating and we change everything on the fly. Once we fill the place and get people into it, we just keep going. Once they finally seem to have had enough or we just can't take anymore (90 minutes?), we'll take a much needed 1/2 hour break.

3. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Four hours, four sets w/three 20-min breaks. When we bring karaoke for the patrons to sing during breaks we do three longer sets with two 30-min breaks.

4. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    We're kind of different in the fact that we only do one break in a 3 hour set, and it's usually a little bit longer: 25-30 minutes.

5. 15 minute break + another 15 minutes to "herd the cats" together again :rollno:

6. unbridled

unbridled

May 26, 2005
    Montana
    Endorsing Artist-Compton Compensated Custom Bridges (for Gretsch 6ers)
    We usually do 4, 1-hour sets with 15 min in between, then, a really short break followed by a short (1/2 hour) set. They start early here.

7. neurotictim

neurotictim Gold Supporting Member

+1

When we book a gig, we make sure the bar/venue knows our schedule and that they're cool with it. Generally we go on at 9:30 or 10, and play 3 hour-long sets with a half-hour break in between each.

We hook up my iPod or my singer's Zune to the PA to play music in the "down time" to keep the hordes from getting restless. Usually dance music.

8. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    We do 3 sets...about 10 mins between each set.

Well...shoot for 10...sometimes a little longer to get eryone back to the stage.

Some places have "requirements" that we be playing at (during)12:00...and not on a break...so we plan accordingly.

They say that people will start leaving at midnight if they look at the clock....its 12...bands not playing...You know.

9. We play about an hour set, then 5 minute break, followed by our singer and guitarist doing a 15-20min acoustic set, then another hour set.

10. It really depends on the situation... Number 1 or number 2?

11. Hayseed

Hayseed

Feb 18, 2010
    Oregon
    We do 4, 45 min. sets a gig with 15 breaks As far as I know that's standard.

You think a singer needing a break is "lame" MOses? Since I'm also the vocalist, I sing my balls off for the crowd and the breaks are definitely needed to make sure my voice doesn't give out by the end of the night. Methinks you judge too harshly.;-)

12. Same here. In over forty years, it was always 45/15. Like the 60/30 better. It really gives you a chance to get a good groove going for the audience to keep them up dancing longer which leads to a greater thirst, which leads to more drinking, which leads to happy club owners, which leads to getting rebooked! :hyper:

13. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    We typically play just a couple of 45 or 50 minute sets with about a 30 minute break in between. DJ covers the rest, or we provide recorded music before, in between and after sets.

14. depends on how much our singer has had to drink and how many people there are he knows to chat w/ in the audience :D we usually play longer then we are supposed to anyway and our breaks (actually not too crazy) have never been complained about . . .

15. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    3 hours of music over a 4-hour period.

For years (1970 - 2000) it was always four 45-minute sets with three 20-minute breaks. For all the reasons others have mentioned we have switched over to three 60-minute sets with two 30-minute breaks.

There is something psychologically better about this schedule for me. I always thought the first 45-minute set was too short and we didn't get a chance to get the audience (or the band) loosened up and grooving. And I always thought my energy level was too low during the fourth 45-minute set. These issues seem greatly reduced after we went to a 60/30 schedule. YMMV

And of course all the times given are the scheduled times. In reality, the 45/20 schedule usually ended up more like 50/15 and the last set was even longer with the encores. And our current 60/30 schedule usually ends up being more like 70/20. Darn gui****s and their double solos!!!

16. stoneboy26

stoneboy26

Jul 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Thump Music
    We normally do 3 sets in the space of 10:30 - 1:30. Most sets are 45-50mins long with around 15 -20mins in between.

Pub has a DJ for in between and after (pub closes at 3am).

17. Blue Moose

Blue Moose

Oct 8, 2009
    45 mins on, 15 mins off. Last set is usually an hour or so, or until they run us out.

18. treekiller

treekiller

Mar 4, 2010
    Iowa
    Yup, we pretty much do the same. 3 hour long sets with 15-20 min. breaks, the crowd usually starts to thin out after midnight anyway......

19. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Central Florida
    if you do 45 and 15 the problem is you end 15 mins before your gig time is out...
    We stretch our breaks to 20 and problem is solved
    I do prefer 3 1 hr sets with 2 30 min breaks

20. 60/30

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 21, 2021