1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Bar gigs - how long does your band break for?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by drpepper, Sep 26, 2010.

1. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement

On 3 set nights, we do 50 minute sets with 30 minute breaks.
    On two set nights, we play 1 hour 15 minute sets with a 30 minute break. But I keep a stool on stage with me and usually sit down when we do a slow Blues to give my shoulder (bone spur) and feet a little break and it really helps. Even just the on song.
    )-(

2. fourfinger

fourfinger

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    4 hours =

45 + (20)
    +
    45 + (20)
    +
    45 + (20)
    +

But after reading this thread I think I'd like to try 60/30 for a change.

3. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    In my last band NWR we always had an opening band. We were an originals band for the most part. We played 1 hr 20 mins straight, no break.

4. Used to be pretty universally 40/20, although 60/30 is becoming more popular now. Longer sets seem to do better, keeping crowd/momentum, compared to 40/20. Seems like you just get the ball rolling and its time to quit.

Randy

5. Lemoore-on

Lemoore-on

May 11, 2008
    We do 3 sets, 13 to 15 songs a set depending how long they are, we dont time our breaks but they average around 20 mins and it depends on how interactive the crowd is.

Management has never complained.....

6. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

Apr 5, 2007
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: DNA Amplifiers
    My regular bar gig runs the standard Nashville deal: four hours straight through with no breaks. There are a few exceptions to that around town.

7. doktorfeelgood

Mister yer a better man than I... Would not do that deal for long.
    No breaks at all...? Never heard of such a thing. )-(

8. doktorfeelgood

On some nights where we have a later crowd, we'll do a short 30-35 minute first set than take a quick 15 or 20 minute break then hit 'em hard with two long sets to keep 'em dancing 'till closing. )-(

9. BluezBassist

BluezBassist

Aug 5, 2004
    We play 9 pm - 1 am, 4 x 45:00 sets with 20:00 breaks and run a vamp off my iPod during the breaks so we're able to kind of control the vibe in the room for the whole night...

I've never tried the 60/30, we had enough times where the crowd will get on our case to get back on stage after 15 minutes so I never would have considered trying to make them wait the extra 1/4 hour...

10. 15-20 minutes... longer if the guitar player is playing "nice" with a groupie behind the dumpster. :)

11. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I try to keep it no longer than 15 min, but if any of my bandmates are smokers, that's hopeless. I, for one, know I'm not getting paid for squat, so I'd rather play 4 hours straight than stand around not drinking in a crowded bar with folks I barely know...

12. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    No, no...Im ok with standing around and drinking with people I barely know :D but I couldnt do 4 hours straight. Ours is close to the 60/30 (usually 60/20 then the last set either goes longer or shorter depending on the place) And on our last set, my singer and keyboardist do an acoustic duet which tacks on 5 more minutes to the last break which is cool with me!

When I was younger I didnt need breaks but now I have two small kids, neither of which sleep well, and most times Im a walking zombie so Ill take the breaks as long as I can get them lol Lets see...I get out of the club around 2:30 am and the kids wake up at 6 am...yeah thats enough sleep :help:

13. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    We try to take 15 minutes, sometimes, but it always is, and feels longer than it should or needs to be. Sometimes, no break at all is best, to keep the crowd, interest, etc... Occasionally if whatever the group happens to be doesn't have enough material to play through the whole allotted timeframe, then a break (to a degree) is ok, and allows a little extra room to play the best material without having to dig to the bottom of the barrel and pull stuff out which is less than performance-ready. This, in my experience, does not happen often.

14. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    Usually 45-60 min sets with 15 min breaks. I'm too old to go more then 90 min without a bathroom break :). We will shorten the breaks if the crowd seems really into it.

15. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    +1,000.

16. rad87gn

rad87gn

Sep 17, 2007
    rad87gn
    Play 45, take 15 break for 4 sets.

17. mulchor

mulchor

Apr 21, 2010
    St Pete, FL
    IME crummy bands take longer breaks and more of them.

You don't have as much fun, but it does give you a chance to call and talk about better places to go.

18. Interesting...I like that

19. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

Apr 5, 2007
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: DNA Amplifiers
    Breaks happen when people sit in; if a friend we trust shows up, they ALWAYS get asked to play. If someone thinks someone can play, they usually get at least one shot... as long as it's not the new Cee-Lo single (which we kill-I'm still ironing out those bridge licks though).

20. Dantreige

Dantreige

Oct 22, 2009
    Wisconsin
    The plan is always three seventy minutes sets with two twenty minute breaks. Crowd (and bladder) dictates any variations.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021