1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Bar gigs - how long does your band break for?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by drpepper, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Ha ha ha great topic. I'm laughing cuz in one of the bands I play in, we like to say we are famous for the <band name here> half hour break.

In general between all the bands I play with, it's usually a 15 to 20 minute break. Really depends on the gig and how anal the person(s) paying us is/are.

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    We specify 3 hours of playing over a 4 hr period. If the crowd is great we may play longer and may or may not insist on more cash for doing so.

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    Depends on the gig and the feel. Whatever the gig, we are not one of those "play for 45 break for 15" bands. I generally do 3 hour gigs. We will often do a "strong" first set - maybe a full hour or more - then break for whatever seems appropriate..usually 15 to 20. Then play a "normal" 45 or so 2nd set. Take a quick break and do another 30 minutes or so.

If people are into it or dancing or whatever is appropriate for the venue, we may delay or skip a break to keep them dancing and drinking.

4. You know i've found that doing the 4, 45's with 15 minute break thing is cool for a 4 hour show as opposed to doing 3 longer sets in 4 hours. I mean my back feels better, and I'm not as wiped out (esp. when I'm playing the drums.)

Another point is you do need to read the crowd. Maybe play longer if people are into it and not break to long cuz you can lose you audience.

5. Bufalo

Bufalo Funk in the Trunk

Jan 6, 2005
    Harrisburg, PA
    I guess we're a bit unique. My band likes to do a 75 minute first set then a 15 minute break. 2nd set is another 75 minutes, then a 20-25 minute break. From there, depending on the bar or the crowd, the third set just goes until winds down. If the gig "starts" at 9:30, that puts the meat of the show between 10 and midnight, and the last set just burns the empty time (in our lousy gig locations) after 12:30 through whenever the bar is empty. Most noise cutoffs are 1am or 1:30, so the last set can be mercifully short for our sake.

6. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Depends on how "effecient" the girl is between sets.

7. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Parker, Colorado
    I played for a lifetime of years in clubs where the rule was 45 ON, 15 OFF, so it got to be a habit that I still abide by.

If the crowd is really hot, 50 ON, 10 OFF. But never more than 15. Longer than that seems like the band has a lack of interest and clubowners recognize it and remember it next time you want a booking there.

So I say 15 is a good number if you're on stage ready to play by then. If everybody starts wandering up to the stage around 15 and by the time they get settled in and ready to play it's 20, you've screwed the pooch.

I count 15 from the time the music stops to the time it starts again, and so does the clubowner and subconsciously so does the crowd.

I'm jus' sayin'

:ninja::bag::ninja:

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021