1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bar Gigs (The good the bad the drunken)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Jimmy4string, May 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Inspired by @Paulabass 's Municipal gig thread
    Bar gigs you got to love em!
    Drunken owner's flailing about. The drunken patrons, the fights the offers to make out in the bathroom, the sudden surprising of finding your drummer drunk as a skunk and finally the band setup!
    Here is a stage from our last gig:
    (man when i did my rock and roll jumps on this thing all our equipment flew up like we are on a wooden trampoline!) Tell your stories peeps i want to hear em!
    Resized_20180511_112944.
    311_grp2.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    Tony In Philly likes this.
  2. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I did my first paying gig in 1974. Way to many bar stories. I'd write a book, but only musicians would read it, and they have all had the SAME stories.
    Drummer leaned back against the wall. It was the crash bar to an emergency exit. Fell out of the bar into a snowbank and the door locked behind him. Had to walk around the block in a T-shirt at -30.

ELynx, JRA, MrLenny1 and 4 others like this.
  3. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I have a novel's worth of stories but flat-out the scariest one was when my guitarist's drunken cousin (cop, out of uniform) decided he'd had enough of a heckler and stuck the muzzle of his service weapon right between the guy's eyes. That bar emptied out like no place I have ever seen and we obviously were not invited back.

JRA and Jimmy4string like this.
  4. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    One bar gig anecdote to remember: One drunk patron was not happy with us one night; said he was going to put a curse on us. A week later, I injure my left index finger and had a surgical repair of the nerve and tendon - effectively stopping my bass playing in its tracks for well over a year. Coincidence?

JRA and MrLenny1 like this.
  5. I remember playing a gig where the guitarist displayed his guitar for a girl to hit a chord mid song and she licked his strings!
    Man I was laughing so hard i almost missed the next lyrics. :)
    St patty's bar gigs are crazy! We played a 2 PM show and people were dancing around like crazy -spilling drinks and having a grand old green time!
    Lots of cute girls too. Parking downtown was awful!
    Aish.

JRA likes this.
  6. Yeah, my drummer did that, not!

Reminds me of the open mic where they used to tagteam out the drummers mid song. Drummer plays standing up while the other sat down and they kept it all going. One night I turn around and , SURPRISE! it's a different drummer to the one we started with. WT? In and out via window without missing a beat.

ELynx, MrLenny1 and Jimmy4string like this.
  7. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    RVA
    Ah, Texas. Where bars look like your buddy's back yard.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  8. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship?

Sep 23, 2008
    I came, I grooved, I earned.

9. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Ahhh...the bar with the pool table on a balcony area above the dance floor/stage...and the HOT chick in the mini skirt bent over to take her shot...COMMANDO! Sweet Jesus I saw every bit of Christmas and halfway into the New Year. Needless to say my bass playing suffered.

JRA, bound'n'blocked and dragon68 like this.
  10. Sounds like Fandango’s. I could imagine your playing suffered. LOL

11. My first bar gig was at a strip club. I was what 19, still a virgin and so shy. The drummer and I learned the "Pink Panther" theme song to play while girls (ahem) did their work.

JRA likes this.
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The slobbering drunk at load-out telling is he had "connections in the industry" that "could take us to the big time." This, for a typical cover band playing in a dive bar. Riiiight.

Tony In Philly likes this.
  13. A mate's drunken mum kept flashing her boobs to the band and eventually got thrown out by security.

14. SWAT raiding the club to arrest the guy holding a gun on our guitar players wife while she’s on the phone with 911. We just kept playing.

JRA and Groove Doctor like this.
  15. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Probably because we attract an older demographic these days, I don't see as much wild and wooly stuff going on as I used to. We did have an incident two years ago where we ended up helping the waitstaff mop blood off the floor. A couple sitting in a booth, she punched his head so hard he fell out onto the floor, then she started kicking him, got him in the eye, which is when the blood started to gush. As our BL said at the time, "I don't know what he said to her, but I bet he never says it again."

The olden days, though...let's just say they all ended the same way: Eventually, the cops would show up and close the place down for the night. We got paid, and got the rest of the night off. Fine by me.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  16. As my old guitar player used to say, ''it's all fun and games until someone loses a nut''.

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  17. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Ya, full moon fights used to clear out the bar.

18. Geez I hope my wife doesnt see this...

Played a gig once at a bar and things were off the hook. And then the strippers showed up. My wife left early and walked past me to say by and walked right past one of them. About three minutes after she was gone, the strippers decided to get up on the stage. The one that passed my wife came over to me and decided she wanted to play my bass, in the middle of a song, and just stood behind me and reached around and started slapping. I dont think she had ever played a bass before, let alone played slap bass. I didnt stop her.

Thank goodness i wear my bass low.

BnB

biguglyman and Jimmy4string like this.
  19. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    It was the night before the last Super Bowl and everybody in Philly was pumped. Some crazy drunk rushed at the stage yelling incomprehensible stuff at us. He then made the mistake of trying to dance with a relative of one of our band members. He ended up getting ejected by a bouncer. I felt like I was watching a Fellini film the whole time.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Jimmy4string likes this.
  20. Mid-song at an outdoor gig, some random guy jumped on stage & played his harmonica for about 5 seconds thru one of the mics, then sprinted off as one of the security guys chased him. Apparently he is a renowned stage-invader in that town and does this at every gig.

ELynx likes this.