Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bar gigs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HMZ, Feb 4, 2006.

1. One bass

103 vote(s)
    52.3%
  2. Two basses

75 vote(s)
    38.1%
  3. One fretted one fretless

14 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. One four string one five string

5 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    On a small to medium bar gig how many basses do you bring?

2. xparis001

xparis001 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Worcester, ma
    Product Manager, Akai Professional
    extra strings, maybe...

3. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My jazz, and my P as a backup. I have a double case though, so both always go everywhere together.

4. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I have never taken more than one bass to a gig and have never needed more than one bass on a gig.

Knock on wood????

:D

Joe.

5. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I usually take two but I never needed the back so far.

6. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    +1.

knocking on wood here too.

worst case senario, i have to jump into a cab, go home, grab one, hop into cab, back to bar.

living downtown is great.

7. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I have three MusicMan basses and one P bass. I usually only bring one bass to a gig. If it's one of the actives, I'll check the battery pre-gig on a tester. I also pack a change of strings.

For me, the risk of having two instruments exposed in some of the Double Deusch roadhouses I play just doesn't outweigh any advantage in reliability or tonal variation.

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I only bring one to any gig I may do because I only own one.

9. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I always bring two, my main player which is either my Jazz or P depending on the band and a not so expensive backup. Luckily so far I haven't had to use the backup but it's a nice feeling knowing it's there just in case.

10. slagbass

slagbass

Apr 5, 2005
    Canada
    +1. I bring one reliable axe - and watch it like a mother bear watching her cub. :cool:

11. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i always take two ... both fretted four strings .

i may not need both basses , but i sometimes like to play
    them on alternating sets ... Lakland/Fender/Lakland/Fender .

12. Two. A fretted 4 and a fretless 5 tuned EADGC.

Soem of the songs just sound so much better on a fretless, but then sometimes i gotta slap

13. Personally - I've never knackered anything up on my bass during a gig (luckily), but people on here have said they've only had one bass for a gig and broken a string or a picup died or something so they had to stop...I'm just not going to let that happen

If by chance something went on my bass i'd have a backup with me - I got a Mustang back in june, if it was only a small gig then I'd just take the portable Mustang as backup JUST IN CASE (it IS better to be safe than sorry after all...)

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Usually two, unless it is VERY close to home, and I know I can run home on break and get another if there is a problem.

15. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    Always just one, and a pack of strings in the gigbag. Also a fuse just in case the head decides its time to blow one.

16. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    I always bring a backup no matter how small the gig. If something happens I have the other ready to go. Only needed it once when a D string acually broke. I made the change quickly while the guitar player kept the song rolling.

Cheers,
    Jim

17. I've done that - it makes you look like your experienced and know what the songs NEED if you swap halfway through...

Yo Mr Phunkypants (good name...) - you should get a cheap squier or an SX or something just in case...they may not sound great, and it DOES mean lugging more gear around when you probabnly won't even need it - but hell, if it carries you through the gig when you break a string during your first song...a jazz may be good, tonal variation may be good for the odd track

18. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    I'm such a boy scout that I take two gig bags, one with the essentials including spare strings, tools and a soldering iron, and the other with extra mikes & cables, etc. I leave that one in the car. I rarely ever take two basses, I've only broken one string in 35 years. Plus, I gave my 2-guitar stand to my brother. He always takes 2, one of which is on loan from me! His attack is harder than mine, and he's broken a few strings. OK, more than a few. Such a rockin' guy!

19. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Always two.

We usually play two long sets and I switch after the first set to keep things interesting.