Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bar price,best preamp tube for a mesa 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groovking, Aug 9, 2001.

1. telefunkens, mullards...amperex?????? other old high end tubes. has anyone played with these in this specific amp?

2. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I have been researching this very issue, and the consensus is that the high-gain Boogie front-end design will eat those nice old tubes for lunch (in other words, they won't last long.)

Believe it or not, the best tube would be the new Chinese 12AX7 from the Shuguang factory. Lord Valve has them for $10. I am NOT putting my vintage tubes in my 400+!

Nightbass

3. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi,
    ALL the valves in my amp,pre and power are Mullards.
    You can't beat them IMHO.
    Barring accidents, they will outlast ANY other tube.
    The depth of sound has to be heard to be believed.

4. paul, is your amp a 400+? // nightbass, i was under the belief also that the front end being so hot that a good old tube built the way tubes should be built, when tubes were built and perfected moreso than todays products which i feel are being all started over from scratch from a previous era. .......i have a set of jan philips 12ax7wa im experimenting with in another amp, sound is clean, low microphonics, no popping, but not all that musical so far, ive only tried one tube in #1 position in a buster that was giving me extreme michrophonics..........on new pre tubes im hearing great stuff about the new electroharmonix tubes

5. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi,
    One tube you really should investigate are the JJ Tesla/Harma brand.
    These are built REALLY well (for a new tube).
    I have four e34l's running in a Burman 120 watt slave.
    I honestly think these are the BEST new tubes you can buy.
    Forget Chinese,Russian they won't last.
    Look at the reviews at :
    www.watfordvalves.com
    They ship internationally and are very good to deal with.

6. At the place where we rehearse, I stumbled over an old Dynacord amp of some kind. I opened it and guess what inside there was a healthy quadruple of Telefunkens 12ax7. Right! So Now I got 4 really expensive tubes to play around with, I thought.. and got ready to hear the BIG difference from my ol' Mesa tubes. Guess what, there were not that big difference that I thought it would be.. just a little lower gain that the originals. Thats all. Perhaps the distortion was a LITTLE bit different but I dont really think it was that much of a difference, justifying the cost (that I didnt have to pay:D) So I ended up using just 2 of the teles and tried a pair of GT ( i know theyre rebranded..) to play along with them. Well thats how it goes now. Works fine, now Ill just have to see if it eats them for breakfast. No probs so far anyway.

Did this make any sense?
    Hope so. :)