Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Barbarians on History Channel

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Jan 25, 2004.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Anyone else seen this two part series? I have always been interested in this part of human history, and try to learn as much as I can about it. Amazing stuff, to me.

As I was watching it, something freaked me out. During the part of the show convering the Mongols, it went into depth about a Mongol ruler named Timur, who succeeded Ghenghis Khan. Timur was much more brutal than Ghenghis ever was. When this Timur dude died, he put this inscription on his tomb:

"whoever opens this will be defeated by an enemy more fearsome than I".

Russian archaeologists found his tomb, ingnored this warning and opened his tomb in the middle of the night so as not to alert any locals to what they were doing. The next morning, which would have been June 22, 1941.....Hitler declared war on Russia.

Coincidence? I think not.

-Mike

2. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Ohio
  3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I missed the series, but I'm sure the History Channel will be replaying them frequently, very frequently...

I can't wait to see the Mongols episode...

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I wish I still had the history channel, between that, and discovery, they were the best on TV, the most I watched anyway.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    canopener......I hope you are right. I would watch it again if I could. I think it may be done for awhile though. On the channels website, there are no scheduled airings in the future. They had a encore presentation of it this past Saturday night. I am going to buy the DVD.

Actually, the Huns Rule! They were never defeated like the other's were. They succumbed to malaria, and lack of a dominant leader after Attila. Of course, Ghengis Khan ruled the largest continuous land empire in the history of humanity (Korea to East Germany), so I suppose you could say he rules! Me, I'll take Attila and the Huns.

-Mike

6. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I thought it was really good, and I want to watch it again. Luckily, I got it on tape.:D

7. Yes I saw the show. It's good to see people interested in history.

You and I might not be able to create a land empire from Korea to Hungary, but Ghengis Khan. :D

He definitely needed counseling.

More later. History is the best subject.

Mike

8. wakizashi

wakizashi

Dec 5, 2003
    Lafayette,LA
    I saw the show. It was cool. I was very intriqued by the goths story. It showed you how stupid the romans had become. You don't piss off mass amounts of people that live and serve in your country and expect them to not do anything right. This senario seems to replay it self in history time and time again. It is just a little different every time.

Very cool show. Wakizashi stamp of approvel.:confused: :p

9. discovery science rocks too!

10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I watched the series which really set me to pondering over how that same kind of thing could happen today. I mean, let's just say some of the industrialized nations are getting a little lazy such as the Romans did, could a hungry, wild band of modern day barbarians come storming out of nowhere and come close to destroying us?

My thought is with modern day technology it would be too hard to mount a massive invasion without being noticed, what with our satelite spies in the sky and all our radar systems. Yet, look at 9/11, a low tech, but terribly effective invasion.

One way in which I very much felt invaded watching The Barbarians was by the number of ads. Maybe the true modern day invaders are the advertisers. I mean I'd just get interested in the story and there would be five minutes of ads. It drove me to distraction. I really resented all those ads intruding into the fascinating story. Worse, they were the same darned ads over and over and over.

11. It looks pretty awesome...just lately I've been filling me geek quota by watching techtv so i've missed it :D

I'll check when they're reairing it.

12. Very good point, Bop.

What comes to mind is the scene in Dickens', "A Christmas Carol," when Scrooge sees the two children under the robe of The Ghost of Christmas Present.

"This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased."

Mike

13. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Quite an intriguing bit of history, Mike. Thanks!

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    That was an excellent link Michael, thank you for taking some time to post it. However, my reading of the Khazars didn't stop there. I am still looking up some info about them.

The part that really sucks about all of this is that I prolly will never have the chance to go to those parts of the world to see some of these things firsthand. A tall, white man traveling in the middle east is prolly not the best idea right now. Bummer :(

-Mike

15. Jay and MJ5150, you made my day. You're very welcome. :)

If you liked The Khazars, you'll probably like The Silk Road. Here's two good links:

This link is a good place to start.

http://www.ess.uci.edu/~oliver/silk.html

This link has some gorgeous maps on it. If you only look at two maps, check out topography of eastern and western Asia. :cool:

http://depts.washington.edu/uwch/silkroad/index.shtml

I absolutely love history - ALL HISTORY!!!

Maybe we should start a TB history club. ;)

Enjoy.

Mike

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    TB History Club??? I'm in. :D

Now back to the Khazars.

-Mike

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I always reckoned you were an art history buff at least, mike, I enjoy history too, though I prefer evolution and archaeology.

I do agree that the history channel and discovery channel are the two most watch-able channels on TV.

I also really like National Geographic, mostly for the camera work and immense photography, but yeah, it's good stuff.

Very interesting link about the khazar's. thanks! :)

18. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    I love this stuff! I'm going to work my way through the Silk Road, I've read some stuff about that before, very interesting. I couldn't resist peeking at the maps...exquisite!

Very cool. :D

19. Archaeology and history go hand in hand. :)

Evolution?

YOU JUST KEEP THEM LOUSY DINOSAURS OUTTA MY GARDEN! :p

Mike :D