1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Submission Barbary Coast

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by LeeNunn, Nov 27, 2018.

1. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    BP published a transcription in September 2005, but here's my take. This sounds like a Db7b9 chord to me, so I wrote all the b9 notes as Ebb and all the #9 notes as E natural. Writing the E as an Fb suggests a minor third, and I think the intent was #9. I used to wonder why this was in Db, but if you want to make heavy use of an open E as a #9, that's the way to do it. Also those b9 notes are probably played as an open D (Ebb).

I tried to capture the natural harmonics. I tend to think of all of those natural harmonics as natural or sharp notes, but here the C# is a Db, the F# is a Gb, and so on.

PM me if you want to the BP transcription.

Attached Files:

2. ChrisDev

ChrisDev Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2009
    Belgium
    Ritter Instruments Team & Owner BassLessons.be
    You're absolutely right about the b9 and #9.
    I'm transcribing a Mike Stern composition at the moment. A lot of it is half-whole diminished scale over a dominant chord. Writing #9 often makes a harder to read, though e.g. in F7 -> Bb G# F <= flats and sharps, and a sharp in descending line :vomit:
    I find Bb Ab F easier to read and I've seen many transcriptions (by professionals) written with a b3. But, I'll probably stick with #9 for my transcriptions as well

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    LeeNunn likes this.
  3. LeeNunn

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    I approached this more as an educational exercise in which I was trying to understand the function of the notes. I can't imagine trying to sight read this. Even if I navigated the Ebb notes as an open D string, the harmonic notes would slow me to a crawl. A practical approach might be to just ignore all the harmonics the first time through. At first I thought Jaco was just playing random harmonic notes that were right where (or near) a regular note would be.

Other than the four measure into (with the E double stops), most of the low Db notes are played at the fourth "fret" on the A string. Then take inventory of all the natural harmonics in that area in the context of a Db7 chord. By the end of the transcription, I believed there was a method to the madness. I'm not suggesting that he would have played this the same way every time he played it. I am saying that Jaco had an unusual command of harmonic notes.

JimK likes this.
  4. slagheap

slagheap

Dec 23, 2011

LeeNunn, Intenzity and JimK like this.
  5. LeeNunn

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    Thanks, Slagheap. I'd never heard a live version before. It sounds like a medley of Barbary Coast and Come On, Come Over. The two songs share that lick in measure 9 of the transcription of the studio version of Barbary Coast. My favorite lick in the studio version is measure 27. As I listened to the live version, I wondered whether Jaco would play it, and he did. Three times! He doesn't seem to use all the harmonics in the live version. This will be fun to transcribe.

gebass6 likes this.
  6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...there's some cross-pollination going on.
    Jaco liked using the Maj 6 in these Funk vamps.

LeeNunn likes this.