Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

barber electronics deep fryer-bass overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stevekim, Feb 13, 2002.

1. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    hey guys,

i just found out about this pedal. have any of you used one? they seem well made, feature true bypass, a second channel, and they look really cool. i wonder how one of these would stack up against a fulltone or ebs?

http://www.barberelectronics.com/deepfryer.html

steve

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Looks very interesting, wonder how it sounds next to the Big Muff pi.

3. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i talked to someone who compared this to the fulltone bass drive. if that's true, then it's probably got more low end than the big muff and a little more "controlled" sounding. i read that it's also got an internal trim knob for the bass. i think that's a weird place to put the bass knob.

steve

4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    agreed. It probably sounds pretty good then. The one problem with custom effects, very hard to try them out!

5. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    well, i think i might go ahead and be the guinea pig then. once i get paid, that is. i'll post my thoughts on this pedal once i get it.

steve

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool. if you can make an mp3, that would be very cool!

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

From the hype, they could just as well be describing a SansAmp Bass Driver. I'd hate to buy one in order to try one out and find the two units are almost idenitcal.

musictoyz.com has the Deep Fry for $200.

I wish we could drag these effect designers out to "real life" stages so they'd learn to factor in that we're often playing in veeeeeeery low light!!!

8. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i just ordered the deep fryer from musictoyz. i should get it in a few days. i'll post my opinions once i get a chance to check it out. unfortunately, i don't have the means to make mp3's at this time. i've never used the sansamp, but i will try and compare this to the fulltone i had.

steve

9. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    well, i got my barber electronics deep fryer yesterday. it's construction is very solid, similar to that the of the fulltone. clean, quiet switches, knobs turn great, internal wiring looks top notch.

soundwise, it's very similar to the fulltone bass drive i used to own. it's possible to get most of the tones the fulltone gets with this pedal. the overdrive can go from subtle to heavy distortion. it's a tad bit more subdued than the fulltone bass drive, which i like - especially when going for that tube driven OD sound. the true bypass switching does it's job, no degrading of quality when the unit is bypassed. the second channel makes switching from overdrive to distortion easy. there is an internal trim pot that attenuates the bass. i highly recommend this pedal to anyone looking for a bass overdrive-and i'd place it up there with the fulltone and ebs pedal in terms of quality.