1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Barber Linden EQ vs. Tech 21 VT Bass for clean B-15 tones?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ryan Mohr, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    What do you think?

EDIT: Barber Linden EQ versus Tech 21 VT Bass versus OLC Flipster for clean B-15 tones, the option of a little "hair" would be nice, but a clean tone is my first priority.

2. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    I've never tried a VT bass but I do use a Linden with my GK head for a nice, deep blues tone. It has a very wide and useful range of sounds and always remains musical. It doesn't really distort much. Frankly I love it. YMMV

It may pay to run the linden before some kind of mild drive pedal (VT Bass?) to get closer to a B-15-like sound (which isn't super clean to my ears.)

Also, some of the guys here use a pedal called the flipster for a B15 ish tone in a pedal - do a search for that one...

Good luck whatever you decide

3. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Do you think the Linden EQ (designed after the B-15 eq) gives clean tube fatness?

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I wouldn't characterize the Linden as tubey so much, but it does have a certain warmth to the lowend that's real smooth and natural. It's a very clean eq, so if you're wanting a little fur around the edge, the suggestion of running it into an overdrive is perfect.

5. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Thanks, is the warmth very noticeable or very subtle? Also, I don't need a little fur around the edges, I have an overdrive for that.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I haven't tried the Linden, but it's just the Baxandall tone controls like what's on a B-15. There's no reason it would sound tubey on its own. It will certainly manipulate an amp's EQ like a B-15, but that's it. But the VT does awesome recreations of B-15 tones. You can even make it imitate mic'ed tones pretty well. Pedal of the future.

7. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    I use the Linden in front of the TrueVoice pre and it sounds great - B-15esque. It "smooths out" the sound for lack of a better phrase. The TV uses the same essential pre tubes as the B-15. Nice combo there.

The Flipster is basically a copy of the SB-12, not B-15.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    TrueVoice = sweetness!

9. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    I'd be curious to hear the VT vs. the Linden/TV combo, but it's more curiosity than anything else. Love my live tone at the moment.

10. ive never used the Linden EQ, or even a Fliptop B15, so this might be redundant, but i've got the VTBass and IMO it'll do every classic tone going (depending on what you put into it), and a few more besides,
    my understanding of the b15 has only ever been Jamerson on the Motown tunes, and i find i can go from that to geddy lee just by turning the Character control.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6880057

demonstration of the Tech 21 VTBass with my Yamaha Attitude Special into my Line6 Toneport GX (using the Console model to get the cleanest representation of the tone)
    the first clips is clean
    clips 2,3 and 4 are have BASS at about 2 o'clock, MID at 1 and TREBLE and DRIVE at about 11, the Character switch changes from minimum, to half to maximum, the last two clips use the manuals Flip-top settings, one with the tone (on the bass) up, one with the tone down.

i realise this isnt exactly representative, as the Attitude has a whacking great humbucker at the neck and no tone control for the p-pickup, but i hope you get the general idea.

the first couple of clips are just there to show you how the character control can sound, but its your choice on how realistic the fliptop sounds to you

11. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I have a Linden. I find it to be really useful for recording but by itself, its not "tubey". Its more like Ampeg-ey: any of you guys have experience with Ampegs line of guitar amps from the 50's and 60's? Geminis, Jets and Reverbrockets? Thats where the real similarity comes in. Trying to EQ those amps was always different than all the other amps out there: the Baxandall tonestack explains it. I run a Presonus Tube pre into the Linden to give me more of the topography of an Ampeg amp. Sounds really good.

12. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Maybe the Linden with an ART tube pre?

13. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    The linden with any tube pre is quite a moving experience. Just found an old 12au7 (branded ITT, go figure) and swapped it into my Presonus and the lower gain is a good thing for having it in front of the Linden:really sounds like and feels like an amp

14. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    What does the Linden have that a regular eq lacks?

15. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Thanks for the clips. Makes me want one all the more now.

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    My flipster gets me close enough!

17. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    on one of the other threads about the Linden, Bongomania( I think) explained it all. Can't search-late for work.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The Baxandall tone stack as found in the Linden and the Flipster is an amazingly musical and simple EQ that adjusts frequencies in a way that has to be heard to understand. That's all I can tell you.

19. The Barber Linden used with a Barber Tone Press into a clean solid state amp gives me the kind of warmth I get from my B-15. Just a little hair, but not much.

Can't say enough good things about the Linden.

20. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    I own and love my Linden, but Jimmy is correct here. The Linden is simply the tone stack of the fliptop and utilizes the Baxandall eq curves, which are PART of the B-15's sound. In general, Baxandall eq, is smooth and euphonic to some, and is standard fare in both the hardware and software worlds.

According to your tone goals, I would think the VT is what you're looking for. But don't let that discourage you from checking out the Linden. Heck , pairing the VT bass and Linden would be pretty usefull and flexible (and not at all redundant).

Personally, I would check out the Flipster circuit as well to expand your options. Mr. James Hart uses one, IIRC. I'm sure a search would turn up something.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!
    :bassist: