1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Barber Linden EQ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by OriginalCrash, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Has anyone here gotten a chance to check out Barber's new Linden EQ pedal? I know the LTD gets plenty of love here, so I'm sure it's great pedal. That said, it only offers volume, treble, and bass controls (with a switch to change the treble response, I believe), so compared to a lot of eq pedals (what with 10-band graphic eq's and fully parametrics) it seems a bit limited. Anyway, let the responses (if any) begin...

Brian

2. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    linden_large.

So the eq is based on old flipflop amps? interesting. anyone know the freq points?

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Sounds very interesting the barber stuff is fantastic I'm sure it will sound very amp like, very interesting indeed.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    very cool! I just got my "Flipster" from OLCircuits that is a similar premise. Mine has a master volume for use as a dirt box... but works like a 60s fliptop if set as a boost instead of gain.

5. Guess it's still too new for many people to have heard of them/used them. I did find some info on the Barber forums... Seems this is an incredibly useful eq for bass like the Barb EQ is for guitar. Anyway... Now I don't know what to do... I was set on getting a Fulltone Bass-Drive, but this has my attention now, too!

Brian

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I'd say they would be completely different so as always on this forum GET BOTH :D

7. Oh, I'd love to. Unfortunately, along with all the other pedals I'd love to have (Bass-Drive, Fat Boost, English Muff'n, MultiComp, and Linden EQ just to start), I want to get a new amp and start modding my bass. Not all of us can have as much gear as Tom Bowlus... :meh:

;)

Brian

8. Though it's definitely tempting to be the one to try and review a pedal before you or Toasted or some of the other pedal guru regulars on here...

Brian

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Had to dig this thread up. My question, do you think I would gain anything by replacing my Sonic Stomp with one of these Linden EQ's? My Stomp is really just adding some phat back into my signal as it is, but I'm thinking this might be even better. Anyone?

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Bump. Pretend it's a new thread, I only dug it up to ask a simple question.

11. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    The Linden EQ adds a pretty large "phattening" in the low end. I love mine.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    That's what I'm looking for. So, a good replacement for the Sonic Stomp.

13. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Think of your bass sound as white bread. Think of the Sonic stomp as mayonaisse: better than plain bread but one flavor. Think of the Linden pedal as fresh creamery butter.
    I had a BBE unit. Actually I still do: its just as dusty as it was a year ago. It does have a sound but its a one trick pony. The Linden is a preamp and the EQ sounds/feels like it does something across the whole sonic spectrum, not just at those100hz/10Khz splitpoints.

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I loves me some butter. SOLD. Btw, excellent pitch, jgsbass, I wanted one, now I NEED one, thanks a million.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  16. I have a question, how does the Linden EQ sound in comparison to the Tech 21 BDDI using the recommended "fliptop" setting? Or rather I should ask, which one sounds more closely like a B-15. I realize there are lot's of other factors involved. However I'm curious as to whether it would be worth adding to my board.

17. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Me too, I was wondering whether to go for the Flipster or VT Bass - chose the latter and have it in the mail now. I'm hoping the VT can cover the vintage clean tones as well as more agressive rock tones, its speaker cab simulation was a plus as I want to use it going direct and for recording.

18. You'll let us know what you think of it, yes?

19. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Been using mine for several weeks. Awesome tone. It's near the end of my chain, and the difference is night/day, for real. Very warm, buttery tone, I leave it on at all times. I still think a Sonic Stomp is better than nothing, but the Linden is many times over, better.

20. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Now I'm torn between this and the VT Bass, although the VT Bass offers more versatility.