Barbera ?amt Mic?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Andrew Jones, Apr 2, 2001.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Does Anybody have any exspierience with the barbera pick up? Bass player mag raved about it a couple of years ago but it cost so mutch Id Need to hear alittle first hand feedback to consider spendin that kind of bread.
    Ditto for the AMT mic?
  2. On my bass, the Barbera outperforms the Fishman and the Realist. For a long time, I had both the Realist and the Barbera on the same bass. Every time we set up, I'd play both and let the group vote for which pickup to use. They picked Barbera every single time. It's response is immediate; it's very 'live'.
    It's expensive, and it took months for Barbera (he's a real person) to do the job. Part of the equation is what kind of bass you're amplifying in the first place. One of my basses is a Kay, and a very good one at that, but I would not put a Barbera on it.
  3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I have a carved GOTZ bass little smaller than ussual 40 inch string length so i quess thats a 5/8 I use dadarrio hybreds in heavy tention (to make up for the string length) the top was cracked when I first saw it and my friend whos a luithier advised me to buy it (for a good deal) and let him do the work and regraduate the top that was 3 years ago now and I love the instument.
    Ive been on it hard for three years (studying with a local boston guy John Lockwood) Now im ready to come out of the woodshed so I want to buy a amp/pick up system
    It took a few months for him to build it huh? did he make you a whole new bridge?just from the adjusters up?if so are you happy with the bridge he carved you?thanks for the help :)
    Do you have a mic as well ? a blender of some sorts?Iwas thinkin about either the golden or the AMT and a raven labs blender?
  4. I would not have a bridge made by anyone but my luthier. He sent the top to Barbera, and we waited.........and.........waited.
    I recently switched from G-K MB 150 to an Acoustic Image Contra. Everybody loves it.
  5. I've had a Barbera for about 4 or 5 years now, took two weeks (including air freight to New Zealand), and I love it. Prior to that I had Fishman (horrible) and Shadow (German copy of Underwood - ok), also a Crown mic with Bass Blender. The Barbera beats everything, and if ya have to wait these days, it's worth it, IMO. I tried a Realist on a friend's bass, and it's pretty good, but it's not a Barbera! My bass is 12yo, German, solid top, round back, and I'm presently using D'Addario Hybrids, and running through a GK 800RB and SWR Goliath III Jnr 2x10. I have also tried most every amp around, except for the Acoustic Image, and my present combination of pickup, strings, amp and speaker, gives me the best sound I've ever had.