1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Barbershop + ? = more distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Onofre, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Onofre

Onofre

Feb 28, 2015
    which pedal do you use to boost a barbershop for more distortion?

2. I use either a timmy or a Wampler Ecstasy (pref for the latter) as a clean boost into the Barbershop. A little hair on the Wampler sounds nice too. With it's bass and treble boost and serious gain controls...it can push a barborshop into crazy fuzz land very easily. I like to use the barbershop vol control to bring down my output gain to rational and usable levels again...ie unity. Just remember to switch off your Wampler before the Barbershop....you'll know why when you do it the once....

Onofre likes this.
  3. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I used a B7K but that's just me. Sounded amazing that way.

ryansalmond and Onofre like this.
  4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Just my opinion but I didn't like the way the Barbershop reacted to being boosted. The breakup started getting into a sound I didn't dig as much when pushed.

For me I used the Barbershop as an always on (or nearly always on) and put a heavier OD or distortion downstream for when I wanted to get a dirtier tone.

Matt Dean likes this.
  5. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I'm pretty new to the Barbershop game, but that's what I'm doing right now too. Fuzzrocious Demon.

6. This is what I do as well. I've actually not been stacking dirt pedals like I used to. I tend to run distortion pedals by themselves for higher gain needs.

Edit: my dirt signal chain is Barbershop>VMT Deluxe>W&C TFR>Woodchiper.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    Onofre likes this.
  7. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I don't usually stack things either

I've been happy running higher gain pedals after my Barbershop. I keep the BS on usually, and it didn't seem to mess with whatever I had after it (OCD, Demon, Fulltone Bass Drive, and the Brimstone XD-2)

Onofre and Jared Lash like this.
  8. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    My Barbershop is always on.

For more drive - I stack with either a Blueberry BOD, an AnalogMan DOD250 or a VMT. All three give me a cool different voice.

Onofre likes this.
  9. shinybeast

shinybeast

Apr 1, 2014
    I like running the Barbershop always on at a low gain setting and running a higher gain pedal in front of it, currently a W&C Pickle Pie B. The high cut switch on the Barbershop in the right position is great for rolling off the fizz when running DI and the od gives the fuzz a very natural richness, a little smoother but still plenty aggressive.

Onofre likes this.
  10. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I just picked up a Phat Phuk B. I think it sounds great in front of the Barbershop.

11. Yeah, it' got a gnarly / dirty sound that either works for a track or it doesn't. My Wampler Ecstasy before it in the chain acts as either a clean boost or I can just use the Wampler for a smoother overdrive sound, which is why i like the pair together.