1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Barbie gets her "bits" banned!?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fender32, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    First off, let me say that this thread is not intended to be political, but if I goes that way, I'd be happy for the Mods to come along and stamp on it.

I was just watching the news and saw that a large, international toy company have just recalled 9 million units of various toys, due to some being covered with lead-based paints (fair enough) and the others because they contain (and I paraphrase here);

"small magnets which may become dislodged from the toy and ingested by a child"

:confused:

The rationale given by the safety commission, was that if two or more of these magnets were forcibly removed from the toy and swallowed by a child, they could potentially be attracted to each other inside the childs intestine and cause internal bleeding etc. :meh:

Now, obviously, no sane person would want that to happen, BUT ....

Just how likely is that? :eyebrow:

The spokesperson for the safety commission (sorry, don't remeber exactly what they were called), already pointed out that there were no existing cases of this having happened, either in the USA (from where the toys have just been banned), or from China (where the toys were originally made and presumably have also been marketed)!?

My reaction was ... ***? Has the world gone mad, or is this simply politics at work?

Surely, just about anything can be harmful to an inquisitve 3 year old, why pick on something so "abstract" as a bizarre combination of multiple magnet ingestion? Think about it - there are far more harmful things that a child could put down its' throat, which would cause choking, massive internal bleeding etc., but which aren't banned (plastic building bricks, small toy cars/soldiers etc.)

Am I the only one who's missing the point here?

What do you folks think?

2. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    And I quote (on a can of Tuna) "Warning: contains Tuna."
    In short, YES the world has gone mad. Lawsuit mad.

3. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    It's a safety hazard that IS possible. Also, the toy sucks and is breaking on them! Better to recall than get tons mailed back asking for refunds and making customers angry.

Always remember, make the customer happy, and they'll bring their business back.

Unless the kid grows up and is sick of Barbie. ;)

4. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    You're overlooking the solution. It's simple, really.

Just stop caring. Sit back and watch, and laugh. The whole world's a stage; it's just that nowadays it's improv night at the Funny Bone.

5. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    :smug: You're absolutley right, of course, Diggler.

It's just that, at the moment, I'm wearing my "Responsible and Concerned Member of the TB Community and the Wider World at Large" hat.

Presently, I'll be logging-off, going to the bathroom and taking care of the really important things in life!

:D

6. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    While I do think it is absolutely insane to recall a toy because of magnets, the Spokesperson was entirely mistaken. Children have died from ingesting magnets and this happening.

7. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Ahhh... popping zits.

;)

8. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    :p After reading Maki's delightful thread, I've started eating a lot more chocloate, in the hope that I can actually cultivate something to pop.

;)

9. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    OK, I didn't know that Cerb! So, they didn't just pull that idea from a hat, then? :meh:

10. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    I AM SOOOOO HITTING THE VENDING MACHINE RIGHT NOW!!!!

"What's more satisfying than chocolate?"
    "Squeezing the chocolate zits you'll get."

I'ma tell that to my friend's chocolate-fiending girlfriend. Heh heh. She'll be grossed out, and agreeing completely, at the same time. \m/

11. I think your details are incorrect. Children HAVE been injured by this:

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Fender, you're a grown man, if you want a Barbie I'll trust you not to swallow the magnets! :p

13. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    I'm sorry, I should have been more specific.

The spokesperson actually said that there had been no reported instances of this occurring with any of the specific models of toy involved in this 9,000,000 unit product recall.

As I'd never heard of the phenomena before, I assumed that they'd just dreamt up this "death by magnet ingestion" scenario - obviously not :( !

Anyway, this is why I posted the question, to get a broader understanding of the topic - so thanks for your responses :) .

14. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    :p That's not the problem. The problem is that those monsters want to recall my precious Barbie doll :eek: . She's all I've got left ...... :bawl:

:D

15. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I know a guy who asesses recall for major motor manufacturers.

They have a magic number where the cost of the recall lower than the cost of likely law suits / damages. If that's the case then they do the recall.

Based on the information to me with the Matell recall, I'd say that they're pretty concearned.

16. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
  17. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Well well well! This says a lot!

18. mrwink

mrwink

Apr 30, 2000
    Los Angeles area
    on a side note - this is a huge toy company whose stock will prolly go down due to this situation - anyone know if this would be a good time to pick up some stock for cheap, knowing, well, assuming that they'll recover fine and the stock will rise again from the ashes???

19. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Children have offed themselves in EVERY way imaginable. Children...make that humans...have been offing themselves in creative and spectacular ways since the dawn of man.

It's Darwinism at work. Shame we've polluted the gene pool by safety warning ourselves into a position where the unfit can survive and actually go on to reproduce.

I'm with Carlin. I think the kid that swallows too many marbles just shouldn't grow up to have kids of his own. That, as natural selection suggests, is how I thought nature was supposed to work.

Sadly, it would seem that we have now set out to idiot-proof the universe, thus insuring the protection and continued proliferation of idiots everywhere.

Seems to be working so far...

:scowl:

20. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Basshole has it absolutely right.

Carlin is smarter than people admit.