Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Barden prototype 5 string split coils $100

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Moo, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    This is a pair of Joe Barden prototypes made for Sadowsky. Split coil humbuckers.

I emailed Roger to ask about these and he replied

"Joe Barden made these for me to listen too many years ago.
    I have no recollection of how I liked them.
    These are not the pickups we use.

Please visit our web site for additional information and let me know if I
    can be of any further assistance.

Best regards,

Roger Sadowsky"

Could you ask for a more glowing revue? ;)

They come with Sadowsky covers but I think that's just what Roger threw them in to test them. They sound good but not great to me, I like a pickup with much more of it's own character. If I was prone to hyperbole I would say they don't color the true sound of your bass but they're just smooth and a bit flat to my ears.

They're quiet, with a pretty nice p-bass tone in the neck position and they're one of a kind. I played them for about a year and a half.

2. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    What the covers look like

3. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Any offers? Trade for a high quality speaker cable, or effect maybe?

4. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    bump

5. bassmanMRC

bassmanMRC

Jul 5, 2004
    Minnesota
    pm sent

6. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Back on the market. They do me no good on the shelf so the price drops. $90 shipped USPS in the lower 48, maybe a buck or two more elsewhere.

7. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    what are the lengths of the pickups?

8. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    3.6 & 3.51 inches

9. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Looks interesting... how much single-coil hum do you hear when you solo either pickup? My understanding is that each pickup on its own will not be completely hum-cancelling, given that the magnets unequal lengths (one is 3 strings wide, the other is 2 strings wide).

10. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Here's what I wrote about them last year. From the last post in this thread.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90890&highlight=barden

Yeah, 2 strings for one coil 3 for the other.

I was worried that this imbalance in coil size would let some 60 cycle hum in and I think it does a tiny bit. But not enough to annoy me and I'm pretty picky.

They're really starting to grow on me tonally, a lot of old school vibe with a hint of modern edge but not too hi-hi.

11. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    ... and bump...

12. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I bought a set like this awhile back from Roger in a bulk pickup sale he put on ebay. I think that the hum cancelling is a result of the coil winding, not the magnet length. So if you wind more wire around the shorter coil so that the resistance matches that of the longer coil, you should get full hum cancellation. I don't know if that's how they were made but if you compare the coils with an ohmmeter it should be easy to find out. Very cool pickups, I just didn't need 5 string Jazz pickups so I sold them.

13. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Interesting... I'm no pickups or electronics whiz, but I'd think that would make it difficult to get a consistent sound across all 5 strings, i.e. that the strings covered by the shorter coil would have a 'different' sound from the strings covered by the longer coil. But... as always... the ultimate proof is in the playing, so maybe they sound just peachy despite whatever random theory sez they shouldn't.

14. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    These are the ones, I bought them from you :)

15. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Yeah, that always annoyed me too, just knowing they're uneven bothered me even though I couldn't hear any problem.

A standard p-bass does something similar where after 2 strings it jumps an inch and a half down the strings to sense the other 2. And then there's the whole going from one guage string to another or wrapped and unwrapped strings for our skinny string friends. But I think if it sounds good we accept it as even. Many basses have this odd coil length thing, for example all MTD 535's. It still seems wierd though.

16. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Yes, it's the coil that gets the hum cancelled, that's why dummy coils like the ones Alembic uses work. The magnets may have a small effect but I doubt it can be heard.

17. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Bump

18. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    And again...