1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bared cores on tuners

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by josephanthonydiaz, Jun 23, 2014.

1. josephanthonydiaz

josephanthonydiaz

Jun 16, 2014
    headstock001.
    Has anyone else tried this? These are ghs boomers. i like the feel better like this, they stay in tune longer, seems like better tone and sustain. The .136 B is less muddy. Id like to try this with saddle huggers. Im also thinking that the difference might also have to do with the lightweight tuners.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Did you strip all the lock windings off the end? I can see your strings unwinding very soon :)

And I thought GHS quit making .136 strings? Where did you get that?

3. josephanthonydiaz

josephanthonydiaz

Jun 16, 2014

I was concerned about them unwinding too but its been 2 weeks since i bared the d strings core because its wrap broke from too many untunings setting up the saddles for this odd set from the single strings section at just strings,com... (,136, .111, .085, .06, .04, .03) all the extra longs for the thru body threading. yeah, i couldnt find the .136 on ghs site either, or anywhere else but juststrings.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    (the .136 was discontinued a while ago. GHS has none left, those are probably old stock)

There are some string companies that do not put silk on the strings up there as they feel the silk dampens the string.

5. josephanthonydiaz

josephanthonydiaz

Jun 16, 2014
    i couldnt find the .111 on ghs site either, vintage strings eh? aged out of the box.... i usually go 3 months, we'll see how these go with the cores exposed like that, im finding i like the sound better. The thing that got my attention was how much easier to keep it in tune it is now, and more overtone and harmonics. I am so not looking forward to resetting that bridge again, i think ghs ought to reconsider that discontinued size.

6. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    They have been discontinued for a while now... Maybe even over a year... If that company still has stock you can see why... I remember there was a post that was fairly active on here about them...

I am pretty sure that the GHS's are the same size .110 and .111 but the only difference is the string length...

7. josephanthonydiaz

josephanthonydiaz

Jun 16, 2014
    i still have a set of daddario exl 170 that i couldnt use on this bass because its a quarter inch too short in the b, just like the guy that has a 5 string grind having the same problem on here a while ago. the ghs regular longs arent long enough for this bass with the through body threading, it needs the 38" of winding. the peavey cirrus strings it came with look like the same strings with black silk. those were out of stock when i checked so i decided to try ghs' on this bass as id used them all the time years ago on an old fender. Those have the big heavy steel tuners, and i dont recall much trouble keeping that bass tuned with the wrappings intact.

8. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    When were your EXL170's produced? You must have purchased Long Scales. They have changed their winding lengths from 36.25" to 37.1". Their Extra Long D'Addario (same length as those Boomers) are 38" Ball to Taper.

I use the GHS Boomers on my fretted Jazz basses, sound great!

If the strings are installed properly silk or not, they should not slip. I would not really contribute the bare core around the post to tuning, in fact, many will argue that the strings slip easier like that... I will agree that it can make strings sound brighter, but the boomers when they are new sound pretty brilliant, they will mellow out a bit.

9. josephanthonydiaz

josephanthonydiaz

Jun 16, 2014
    i would imagine that if there were anything to it people would be using bare core on the tuners already. even so i notice a difference, not only in the tone but in the feel of the strings. perhaps the difference i percieve in the tuning is more because of my roughouse style playing grungy metal bending strings all the time. i would hypothesize that the windings stretch more normally, with the core exposed at the tuner it may be stretching out from under the wrapping.

10. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    That is correct.

Yep, that's how they did a lot of the old model numbers; it's the same way with Progressives.

DYB110 - 36.5" wind
    DYB111 - 38" wind

11. nothing past the nut effects your tone.

Remyd likes this.
  12. josephanthonydiaz

josephanthonydiaz

Jun 16, 2014
    i tried a fat finger on there too. that affects the tone up over the nut. experience and hierarchical position aside i maintain that my laymans opinion is valid and actually may have some basis for further investigation of this situation. music is my passion and i will not ignore this development in favor of the status quo. fortunately for me i am unencumbered by the constraints of convention and i will continue to observe this bared core on tuners idea with objective attitude

13. josephanthonydiaz

josephanthonydiaz

Jun 16, 2014
    I think the problem here is that i studied mechanical engineering years after learning to play bass LOL