1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Barefaced 2x12 cab or Ashdown ABM 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SamWebsterbell, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Simple question really which one should i get and why? I would like to go through an Ashdown MAG 300 head.

I play kind of punk/funk/alternative rock music.
    Mix between, Rage against the Machine, Red hot chilli peppers, Muse, Nirvana etc.

Hears a taster:

Ok so i dont want an Amp with a Tweeter.
    We play medium sized gigs, we have a loud drummer and two guitarists supporting 2x12 100w amps (also very loud)

2. Some more information i actually prefer the sound of the 12's as a have an ashdown with a 12" at the moment.

3. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    I don't feel I can get a whole lot of volume out of my single Ashdown 410 before the speakers fart out. They don't sound terrible but I have to imagine there's better sounding speakers out there.

4. are yours MAG or ABM speakers?

5. Andysalt01

Andysalt01

Apr 21, 2006
    London
    Hi,

Not sure this directly helps, but I just bought a barefaced compact from Alex and am running it with a Shuttle 9. I moved to this setup because its lightweight, having previously had an ashdown Mag 115 and 210 rig with ampeg.

I've never looked back. I cant speak for the midgets at the moment, but the compact is articulate, versatile in tone, natural sounding, cuts through the mix easily, and is loud.....very loud! At the weekend I cranked it hard, our guitarist had to use a marshall JCM800 with a 412 and another 115 to try and keep up.

The service of barefaced is also great. My new rig crushes the old. I'm looking at getting a midget to accompany the compact later, not because i need more, but because I can! They are also more agressive than the compact.

If you mail Alex directly or through his website he'll be more than happy to help or give you his thoughts. His website is pretty informative too.

Just my 2 cents and opinion of course. There's so many options out there cause so many people like different things.

Good luck!!

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Barefaced uses top quality drivers, superior construction methods and doesn't ignore at least three laws of acoustical engineering. Ashdown can't make those claims. I seldom recommend commercial speakers, because IMO there's very little out there worth recommending. Barefaced is a notable exception.

7. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I am waiting until Alex has the next batch of DM 2x12 cabs ready. As soon as finished I order one.

This is from an e-mail response I got from Alex when I asked about the cab. (I have a Hartke 410XL alu-cone cab which he is referring and comparing to.)
    I think he wouldn't mind me posting it:

For me, this sounds ideal.
    I play metal... but not loud venues... more jamming than gigging. ;)

I don't need fat bottom and lowend. I need loud, agressive and midrange.

So I have high expectations for the DM.

For me, it is to replace my current 4x10 cab. (Which is still a good cab IMO, that Hartke.)

My opinion about Ashdown.

I love the ABM cabs... but I don't think much about MAG cabs.
    For cabs ABM is the way to go.

I do love the MAG heads. Nice solid state heads.
    But I prefer and have Gallien Kruegers.

Alex fears that my Backline 600 might be to weak to push the DM cab.
    I got to find that out myself.. since I own the Backline 600 and 1001RB-II. :)

I e-mailed with Alex at the end of March about this.
    He then said it would take 6 weeks for the next DM cabs.
    So I expect in a couple of weeks he should have them ready.

As soon as I get mine, I can do a full report on it.

8. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I just received an update from Alex.

There is a new name for the cab: the Super Twelve.
    Which is a cool name IMO. :)

And a pic:

SuperTwelve2.

He should have a cab for me ready in a few weeks. :)

(Luckily I don't need it that urgent... not gigging lately, but I am anxiously waiting for this cab.)

9. Andysalt01

Andysalt01

Apr 21, 2006
    London
    Thats likely to shake a few buildings down!! Looks like an absolute beauty!! Got me hankering for a midget to accompany my compact sooner than i wanted to.

Let us know how it fares when it arrives!

I wouldnt swap my barefaced for the world now.

10. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I was about to order a Compact if these weren't becoming available soon.

I would guess a Compact would have suited my needs very well. But this 2x12 seems more like my cup of tea.

If I am satisfied with this cab I might order a Compact still... to have variety.
    (I'm also interested in the Vintage and Big One... but I don't need a big loud rig at the moment.)

I see you use a Shuttle 9.
    Do you need to send a lot of power to the Compact?

I'm guessing 200W @ 8 ohm would be not enough headroom... or is it?

11. Andysalt01

Andysalt01

Apr 21, 2006
    London
    The Shuttle 9 is a great match for the compact (I think Alex uses a Shuttle 6) and the high pass filter on the Genz's works well with the barefaced. I have 500W into 8ohms, and they're designed (i believe) to thrive around 400-600W. Looking forward to running the shuttle down to 4ohms with another cab.

They are extremely efficient cabs and speakers, so all 200W will be utilised, however I'd drop Alex a line direct if you have concerns about powering it - i think 200 should be fine, although i thought the double midget ran at 4ohms (again i could be wrong here and you're best going direct).

12. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    in my experience the compact was power hungry and not very efficient. If you are going to use a compact you will need more than 200 watts. There are other solutions out there that you may whish to check out.

13. machinehead_1

machinehead_1

Mar 27, 2007
    N. Ireland
    The Compact is a great sounding and very loud cab. I've had mine since about June 2009 and have never looked back.

All of Alex's products are the result of real and proper engineering - not marketing.

I have no connection to Alex except that of a very satisfied customer.

14. machinehead_1

machinehead_1

Mar 27, 2007
    N. Ireland
    It's strange how we all find different results from the same product. But that will always be the case so IMO we should all decide for ourselves.

I find the Compact to be the opposite to your findings sk8. It seems a reasonably efficient cab to me. I power it with a Markbass LMII if that helps.

I also have a Schroeder 1212L but, overall, I prefer the sound of the Compact which, while I don't think sounds as loud as the 1212L, seems more rounded and deeper.

Hope this helps.

15. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    That's why I jumped on the Super Twelve (formerly known as Double Midget :)), because it is 4ohm.

My first plan is using my GK Backline 600 which is 300W@4ohm.
    I asked Alex about this. He fears I might need more power.

No problem since I also own the GK 1001RB-II. :)
    But I really love the charm of the Backline 600. It is a very good amp... IMO.

I got to experience these things myself I guess.

I was thinking of getting a Mywatt 200 all-tube amp in the future.
    I asked Alex about this. He is not sure if an all-tube will work well with the Super Twelve.
    He said the best thing is to just try it out. I might or might not work well.
    Since I have no experience with all-tube amps I might stay clear of an all-tube head all togheter for the time being.

16. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Thank you for your honest opinion.

I guess different strokes for different folks.

One product can't please everyone I guess. :)

17. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    No porblem. i know there are a lot of people that love it. Just wasn't for me and at the price point its at there are IMHO better alternatives

18. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Hoffman's Iron Law: Small, Low, Efficient. Pick any two, but you can't have all three. A small cab can go low and loud but only with lots of power. A larger cab can go low and loud with little power. A small cab can go loud with little power, but it won't go low. These facts are non-negotiable. Choose your weapons accordingly.

19. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Alex told me that if I want the cab to go lower I need a more powerfull head. (And probably EQ in some lows I assume.)

This falls under that law too?
    Needing more power means less efficiency.

Or if the 300W head is enough for me and I am satisfied with the results, then the cab is efficient for me. Although I miss out on the lows.

Or doesn't it work that way?

20. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The 3012HO/3015 based cabinets don't get as low as 3012LF/3015LF cabinets but they will shame conventional bass cabs. They are quite high excursion drivers with reasonably low Fs.

I own a 1x12 I built with a 3012Ho in it, and it really is almost as loud (sensitive) as my 3015LF/6nd410 cabinet above 80hz. It's ridiculous. No, not low, but it's got a similar bottom end profile to an Ampeg 8x10 (not in sensitivity, but in terms of roll off).