1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Barefaced 2x12 cab or Ashdown ABM 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SamWebsterbell, Apr 17, 2010.

1. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Isn't that what I said? :confused:

2. Andysalt01

Andysalt01

Apr 21, 2006
    London
    Bugger, I hate sounding stupid! ha! I keep forgetting my amp is actually pretty high powered!

3. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Yeah.. I guess... :)
    Just for clarification.

I still have a lot to learn about this. I didn't know how much the amp plays a role in the performance of a cab.

Help me grasp this:

For example... a solidstate head that can deliver 300W @ 4ohms. Like my GK BL600, or the classic 800RB.

I read several times that some bassists use (or used to use) an 800RB into an Ampeg 8x10 cab. And they report that it was very loud, it could handle big venues.

If I use the same kind of amp (300W) into that Barefaced 2x12 cab, it won't be as loud as playing through an Ampeg 8x10.
    (yeah, I know this is an obvious and probably dumb statement... 8x10 has more speaker surface area.)

So, to get reasonable volume out of that 2x12 I need an amp that can deliver more power when the situation (bigger venue) calls for it.
    Like for example my GK 1001RB-II, 700W@4ohm.

Conclusion: an Ampeg 8x10 cab is efficient, because it needs less power for a certain volume... the 2x12 is not efficient because it needs more power to reach that same volume.
    Is this a correct way of looking at it?

This is a simplification, I know there is a lot more to all of this.

4. Andysalt01

Andysalt01

Apr 21, 2006
    London
  5. Barefaced. Alex truly knows what he's doing.

6. Andysalt01

Andysalt01

Apr 21, 2006
    London
    refering back to the OP, I guess there isnt a lot of love round here for Ashdown ABM?

7. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I love my 4 ohm 212 (Mesa Powerhouse). It definitely fills the clubs I play in without the need of FH support.

8. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Speaker surface area has little to do with it. Eight voice coils and magnets does.
    Yes.

9. Kaivinkone

Kaivinkone

Aug 7, 2008
  10. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Neither are cabs made for bi-amping. I suspect you're mis-using the term.

11. Kaivinkone

Kaivinkone

Aug 7, 2008
    What i ment was that i would be using one of the cabinets for overdriven sound and the other for cleaner. I'm planning to do this with Rickenbacker 4003's stereo-output -> 2 preamps -> stereo power amp -> 2 2x12 cabinets.

But anyways can i get commercial 2x12 4Ohm cabinets anywhere nowadays?

12. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    You're better off using bass cabs for clean and a guitar 1x10 or 1x12 combo amp for overdrive.

13. Kaivinkone

Kaivinkone

Aug 7, 2008
    But i really like the Geddy Lee:ish sound from early 80s, and you can't get that with guitar amps. It's not really distorted, just a bit edgy and slighty overdriven. YouTube - Rush - Tom Sawyer

14. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
  15. Kaivinkone

Kaivinkone

Aug 7, 2008
    Not so much distortion here, and this one is the tone i really like:

That would be really flexible rig... But wait, is that possible since they don't have output to another cab, only one 1/4" socket?

16. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I own a BF Compact and find it to be a very well designed cab. IME it IS efficient and loud, and its insanely portable. The dimensions are pretty much perfect and it is the easiest schlep I've ever had. Heck its easier to move than my old Epi UL112s, but they were 30LBS and my Compact is 27.4LBS. I do wish it had a bit more beef down in the low-end department, but I am just being picky. As Bill F. said you cant have everything and you can always just nudge up the bass eq for bigger lows.

17. Kaivinkone

Kaivinkone

Aug 7, 2008
    Bump for this!