Barefaced Big Baby comments vs Markbass newyork 121 or ampeg pf210he

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deelgee, Oct 13, 2021.

1. deelgee

deelgee

Jan 18, 2012
    Currently using Markbass NewYork 121 thinking bout buying Barefaced Big baby. Anyone familiar with Barefaced Big baby?

second comparison would be ampeg pf210 vs a barefaced big baby

2. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    The big baby is pretty pricey. You could buy a 2nd NY121.

3. One Big Baby will take out two NY121s.

4. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Big Baby wins by a mile for volume, low end, and clarity. But, it is a flat response speaker that does not add a lot of character to the sound, just reproduces what you put into it. You have to decide if that’s a plus or a minus for you.

DJ Bebop, jastraw, HolmeBass and 3 others like this.
  5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Agreed. It's amazing how much volume and low end come out of such a small and light box (although it's pretty big for a 1X12).

To me, you're comparing a Miata and a V6 Mustang with a Porsche. They'll all get you there and be fun in their own way, but one is the clear winner when you're not looking at the price.

6. Dp1363

Dp1363

Jan 8, 2011
    South Jersey US
    I have owned both type of cabs. The Barefaced BB2 is on a whole different level than any of the Markbass cabs. Not to mention Markbass has rat fur.

DJ Bebop and HolmeBass like this.
  7. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    My BB2 has a huge tone, wide frequency range and definition that fills every room with every note I play. My BB2 and Super Compact are the 2 best sounding cabs I've owned.

I'd suggest you email Barefaced and talk to them. If they think your goals are better served by a Super Compact, they'll tell you, and you can save some cash.

8. ELG60

ELG60

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    I have the Big Twin II and second what @smeet had to say. They're what I consider to be a full-range reference cabinet which doesn't provide coloration. They give me the tight, focused bottom end I want, to which I can then apply my amp and bass controls, so that I can achieve my tonal goals.

I have played through a few bits of Markbass kit, and heard others playing through several more, and I've always been pleasantly surprised at the tone . . . Not boxy and sterile as others have described, although mebbe it's just my ears' lack of discernment, but their color scheme hurts my eyes.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  9. Plain Old Barry

Plain Old Barry Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Connecticut
    The colors hurt my eyes, too. I fixed them... Examples below, fully reversible should the next owner prefer the original look. Mark_115_Foam.jpg Mark_210_Foam.jpg

**Edit** - This took less than 10 minutes per cab and cost about $8/ea. The only materials were some foam grille cloth and a can of 3M77 spray adhesive. All basic tools, too... a heat gun or hair dryer to release the logo glue and tape, an old credit card to lift the warm tape without scratching the paint, scissors, and a phillips driver to remove and reinstall the grilles.

To reverse, simply peel the foam from the back of the grilles, a quick wipe with acetone or 3M adhesive remover to remove any glue residue, and replace the logos with 3M Outdoor Mounting Tape or 3M Auto Body Trim Tape.

It would work on any nice sounding cabinet with a metal grille and gaudy looks. :laugh:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Marko 1, Jesuguru, DJ Bebop and 2 others like this.
  10. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    If the budget allows, I would go with the Big Baby. That said, I have never been a fan of Mark Bass cabs.

11. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I didn't realize that the "delivery time" listed on the Barefaced site (next day for the US) was just the delivery time. Clicking the link reveals that the production time is 4-10 weeks.

12. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    ..so you say.

13. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    One thing to keep in mind is that Barefaced cabs supposedly like a lot of power. I haven't tried one but apparently the way to with a Big Baby is to have one of those 800w amps that can put out 500w into an 8 ohm cab. The few negative reviews I've seen of Barefaced cabs have come from people who used lower-powered amps.

Jesuguru, SJan3 and DJ Bebop like this.
  14. SLPimp

SLPimp An Injury to One is an Injury to All Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Have owned BF cabs in the past, would own again. They compete with the big boys and then some.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  15. SteveBassJr

SteveBassJr It all sounds the same, It's all one song!

Aug 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    My bb2 is my favorite cab. Next is the Super midget. But, the BB2 will handle anything I throw at it. I have had a few different MB cabs so I can say with confidence. Hands down the best I have owned is the BB2.
    I even have used it with a low watt amp. TE elf and it sounded big. The way its designed to disburse multi-directional.

Zbysek and jastraw like this.
  16. jastraw

jastraw

Dec 19, 2016
    It is an unfair comparison. Barefaced is on a whole next level in technology, workmanship and musicality compared to the other 2. The transparency, power handling and sound disbursement needs to be experienced... and felt.

I have two Big Baby 2's. I GAS for basses all the time. But never cabs. Ever.

This past weekend I recently sat in with backline of two Ampeg SVT-210AV. a 4x10 total. It's not close to a single BB2. The dynamic range, the articulation and the way it made me felt. Barefaced stuff is whole different league. One gets what one pays for.

Depending on how serious you're on your musical journey. Paying more and waiting for anything Barefaced is a no brainer. Good luck.

Zbysek likes this.
  17. RGerhart

RGerhart

Jan 11, 2021
    Portland, OR
    I've owned two BB2s, and sold one just because there's no reason to have that much volume. :)

The BB2s are great cabs all around and are hard to beat with tone/volume vs weight. If you can afford one, definitely get it. You won't regret it.

Zbysek likes this.
  18. deelgee

deelgee

Jan 18, 2012
    thanks for your comments especially because of your experience with MB cabs

19. deelgee

deelgee

Jan 18, 2012
    Thanks for your input. expecially for comparing with Ampeg for which I looking for a little more clarity.

20. As one poster mentioned Barfaced is a FRFR Cabinet so if your Bass and/or Amp have any weaknesses.......
    it may be a struggle.[they designed 2x10 for warmer more forgiving tone and Super Compact with no tweeter somewhere in-between]

Good news is if you have Bass and Amp at same level of quality it should sound great and better at high volume than most any other 1x12 or when you upgrade Bass/Electronics it will be clearly audible.

1k is hefty price but most owners don't complain.

I have Markbass 12's and very satisfied with performance I get but if I was going to make a move Barefaced Cab would be at top of my list

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021