1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Barefaced Big Twin vs Aguilar GS112 (x2)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jaycephas, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Jaycephas

Jaycephas Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Waxhaw, NC
    I currently gig with two Aguilar GS 112 cabinets. Besides the obvious wattage, I'm interested in how these compare with a single Barefaced Big Twin? I would like to have a single cab that can 'cover the bases' for all my gigs.

Thanks.

2. I just ordered one and it should arrive today or Monday. Will let you know what I think in a few weeks. However, I don't currently play through Aguilar 12's so can't compare with what you've got. I've been playing through two Schroeder 15L cabs driven by an SVT 7-PRO or GK 1001 RB-II over the past 18 months.

Jaycephas and svtb15 like this.
  3. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    I bet a single 29lb Big Baby 2 would be louder than the two Aguilars 112s and sound better too! One Big Twin is more like having a 412 or 810, so they say. One BB2 is usually enough for me but I have two for those bigger occasions.

Plutonium244 likes this.
  4. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Yes, from what I understand, one BB2 should equal two 12's from elsewhere... at least that's what Alex says, lol. I am using 1 or 2 Aguilar SL-112's now (depending on the gig) but just ordered a One10 to replace what I normally do with one Aggie SL112, and am going to order a BB2 within the next month to replace what I do with 2 SL-112's. Then I'll put the One10 on top of the BB2, really for no reason at all except to be awesome. Eventually, down the line, I'd like to have 2 BB2's, but in all honesty I can't say I'd expect a lot of gigs where one wouldn't do the job.

Anyone that's used a One10 with a BB2, please let me know how you thought they blended. Don't really plan on using them together, but what the hell, if it sounds good.

I do like the Aggies, but I just can't say no to the BF stuff.

5. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    TBer Lownote commented in the One10 thread that he didn't care for the One10/BB2 at first but did after a second try. I can say from experience that the One10/Super Midget pairing is terrific, to which Lownote and Monsterthompson have also attested.

6. Plutonium244

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Thanks JxBass! I did read Lownote's thread about the One10 which included both observations about the pairing... it was encouraging. I have been all over these Barefaced threads since they are my current acquisition targets at the moment. Maybe there are more folks out there? I like the One10 for its size/weight as well as good tone but expect my next BF will be the BB2 rather than a Midget as I believe the Midget, like the One10, has no horn... I'd like to have one that has the full range sound including some crisp when needed; the BB2 can do the retro vintage sound by dialing back/off the horn, but you can't add the tweeter sound to a Midget. All great cabinets though, form what I can tell, just a personal preference thing.

The fact that the One10 has no horn but the BB2 does made me wonder if they would pair all that well.. Alex seems to think not ideally, probably for that reason, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do infact sound really good together.

7. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    The Super Midget has the old style tweeter and is full range and sounds great. The BB2 has the new waveguide compression driver and I believe it's more like a Super-Duper Midget, a bigger sound across the spectrum, including fuller lows.

Alex didn't seem to be that keen on a One10/Super Midget pairing either, as I recall. A few of us have had a more than positive experience with that pairing.

Plutonium244 likes this.
  8. Plutonium244

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin

Thanks for the correction, you're right about the Midget.

9. I got the Big Twin II on Friday and played it at band rehearsal last night for about 90 minutes. The drivers are still breaking in, but it sounds great. The word I would use to describe it is clarity. EXTREME CLARITY. And I never had the volume above about 40% with the EQ flat most of the time while driving it with an SVT 7-PRO and playing a Warwick Corvette. The form factor is great. It is convenient to move. The first gig with this cab will be in January. So far, I am not disappointed and feel it was well worth the cost.

upload_2015-12-9_6-52-56.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    lo-freq and alexclaber like this.
  10. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    NB: Only one of those cabs pictured is Steve's - no-one needs THREE Big Twin 2s! ;)

lo-freq and SteveHeissner like this.
  11. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal

Perhaps it's not about "need"?

(Says the guy for whom a pair of BF One 10s would be fine, LOL).