1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Barefaced cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SactoBass, Oct 1, 2010.

1. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    I did a search on Barefaced cabs, and couldn't find a thread that focuses on comments from bassists who actually own them (or at least those who have played through them), what they like or dislike about these cabs, and how they compare these cabs to other brands of cabs.

If you are rockin Barefaced cabs, please share your opinions with the rest of us! Thanks!

And of course, cab design experts (such as BFM for example) are always welcome to chime in with their comments on the Barefaced products as well.

2. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    SUBSCRIBED

3. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
  4. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Hopefully, I will be able to share some first hand experience in not too long. :)

5. I own the vintage 2x15 cab. I spent a long time deciding which cab to buy last year and eventually decided on one of these bad boys. IMO Barefaced cabs are among the finest cabs you can own today. Great build quality, awesome specs, light weight and Alex provides excellent customer support before and after sale. I cannot express in words how happy I am with my vintage, the quality of tone delivery at colossal volume is amazing. I run the cab with either a Fender 300PRO or a Little mark tube (500) and both have never sounded better or been allowed to get louder.
    From what I've played through only Bergantino can stand up against Barefaced in terms of quality and bang for your buck (and they still cost more). The price of Ampeg/Aguilar/Eden/Mesa/Genz cabs is an insult compared to what you get for much less cost from Barefaced.
    I know this may sound a bit like a sales pitch but trust me I'm nothing more than a very happy owner of one of these cabs.

6. I currently have a loan of a BFB Compact, and I'm trying it at a few different gigs.

So far, I'm extremely impressed. Paired with a TC RH450, the tone is fat, punchy and incredibly even and clear from low-to-high.

For my tastes, the the top-end is clear and rich, but not sizzly (this isn't a cap for people who like sizzle).

Best of all, it's comically light, and very LOUD.

Here's a clip from one of my gigs this weekend. What you can here is almost entirely from the cab - there was no bass (or drums) in the monitors, and the FoH is very modest in terms of subs, and positioned quite a distance from the camera, facing away.

Bear in mind my strings are old flatwounds - rounds would ring a lot more.

7. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    California Republic
    Another subscription.

These intrigue me not only due to obvious tonal/size/weight virtues, but also because of my respect for the UK audiophile tradition when it comes to speakers. UK speaker companies like KEF, B&W, Harbeth, Spendor, ATC, PMC, Tannoy and Quad make incredible stuff for home and studio use, at all kinds of pricepoints....at home, I have large Spendors in the living room for audio, and a pair of old small Spendors flank my flatscreen in a small TV room. I've ended up with UK speakers for 23 of the 25 years in which I've kept a decent system.

OTH, shipping across the pond is pricey, and over here we have Acme and Accugroove coming from that audiophile sort of place, and now the fEarful and Audiokinesis product, along with Bill Fitzmaurice's stuff.

Looking forward to hearing about those who've brought these Barefaced items to the US.

8. azwipe

azwipe

Jul 9, 2013
    Washington, DC
    Played my second gig with a Big Baby 2 last night. Small(ish) club, about 60 people in a place that could fit maybe 100. It's a bit narrow, so I definitely had the benefit of reinforcement from the side walls. No bass in the PA, just kick and vox. We're a 4-piece playing hip hop/funk/soul, so not a ton of guitar noise to compete against, but the music is bass-heavy.

On my MB800 I had the volume at about 1 o'clock, and I couldn't push the gain past 9 o'clock without fear of drowning out the (loud) drummer and the house PA. The sound was big, full and punchy, but I could still hear a touch of sizzle from my Stingray5, just like I like it. It was a pretty shallow stage so I was standing about 4 feet from the amp, but even with the cab pointing at my legs I could hear everything clearly. The low B was powerful, and there was no volume drop on the lowest notes. Several audience members commented on the how great the tone was, with one person saying the sound "hit me in the gut". Exactly what I was going for!

The bassist in the band after us used my rig, and needless to say he loved it and may pick one up himself. His band was an (excellent) 8-piece funk band with 3 horns, 2 guitars, keys, the whole bit. The bass cut right trough, with plenty of low end without being overwhelming. Just punchy and present, and right in the sonic pocket.

The rig is clearly capable of much bigger/louder work than we did last night, given how loud it was a low settings. I may write another review after I use it on a louder gig. In any case, at 30 lbs on the cab and 5 lbs on the amp it's a one trip rig (and I rely on taxis and public transport), and it's nice to know that I probably can show up to just about any gig with this rig and be prepared. I used to have a modular rig with 2 12" cabs, but now I can skip the step where I debate myself over how much amp to bring.

yellowmiata and chris_b like this.
  9. BigBobbyBass

BigBobbyBass

Jan 23, 2015
    I own a BigTwin2 and it's awesome. Super loud, hifi, lightweight. I'm about to order the 610 for a tube head..

jsbarber likes this.
  10. Amplified

Amplified

Jan 19, 2014
    Cyberspace
    Owner of a Big Baby 2. Loved it and added a Big Twin 2. Goes loud without losing clarity. Build quality is top-notch.

11. Rick James

Rick James Inactive

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    I've played through one of their 1x12, I don't remember which, it was pretty much on par with a Baer ML112.

12. Interesting the exponential tangent Barefaced has taken in five years.

13. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    would you explain a bit more?

14. OP is from 2010. Try typing Barefaced into the search box these days.

15. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I am expecting the new One10 cab this am and a couple of local TBers will be over for GTG tomorrow to sample it. I'll repost afterward. The FEDEX shipping notice says the whole box weighs 8Kg, so the advertised weight of < 15lbs for the cab is likely right on :)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    azwipe likes this.
  16. yellowmiata

yellowmiata

Apr 29, 2012
    Texas
    At the end of this month, I'm going to pull the trigger on two BF cabs (the super midget and the big baby II). I'm chomping at the bit for this month to end so I can order!

17. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Well, the FEDEX tracking notice I received last Wed said it'd be delivered by noon yesterday, which never happened. Instead I got another notice at 5pm yesterday
    informing me it would be "delayed" in Mirabel, QC. Translation: "you will now wait to be contacted by a customs brokerage service that will try its' best to charge you a ridiculous fee in exchange for filing a simple form, then you will have the pleasure of paying tax and duty on top of that". TBC

18. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    East Coast
    where are these made
    and is a big twinn a 215?

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021