1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Barefaced? Mesa? Something else?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Coughdrops, Oct 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Coughdrops

Coughdrops Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    I've been thinking about getting some lightweight cabinets to make gig loading easier. I should mention that I'm skeptical of neo loaded cabs so I'm stressing this decision maybe more than should. I haven't tried many (Aguilar, gk or Eden?, no name 210...) but disliked them all. Now, I'm willing to assume I just haven't tried those that would work for my tastes.

Based on some research my first two choices are a Barefaced 210 (eventually 2) or a pair of Subway 15s. I currently gig and love a pair of Aggy DB112s and generally prefer vintage sounding cabs. I've talked to Alex at Barefaced and he recommended the 210. The Mesa gets lots of love on here and the description intrigues me. I can try a friend's mesa but the Barefaced would be buying blind.

Aside from an old school tonal preference, the other consideration is that I use an OC2 a fair amount for faux electronic bass etc. I don't necessarily need a cab that goes super deep, but something that can reproduce a fair amount of the subs from the octave pedal would be great.

So, one, can you talk me out of my fear of neo speakers and two, do you have any thoughts on the above two cab choices or maybe something else I'm not currently considering?

Pbassmanca and Jules Meuffels like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Call David at Revsound, (16036519800) see what he can do.RS115 | RevSound

He has a variety of lean, low and loud cabs that are reasonably priced.

Here's a description of his 1x15(with or without tweeter):

The new RS115 and RS115T are the latest and lightest Revsound single 15 cabinets. They are compact with a a thick rich and articulate voice. Loaded with a Celestion Neo 15 they are not your dad's 15. The driver does what a 15" driver does with the speed and responsiveness of a 12" . It fits anywhere is available with a top pole mount for use as a sub and functions as a stand-alone for bass or as a foundation for a multi-cab set up with a RS110T, RS112T, or a RS115T on top. It's response is smooth across the entire register on a 5-string and it's sensitivity makes it easily drive-able with even a low power tube head.

Specs:
    Baltic Birch baffle and Canadian Birch faced Poplar void free construction with NH Pine bracing
    14 gauge powder coated steel grill
    Celestion neo loaded
    T version includes 300 watt titanium tweeter with L-pad add 75.00
    (1) Neutrik Speakon input jacks
    sensitivity of 99 db 1 watt/1 meter X version, 103 db S version
    Power Handling: X version 400 watts, S version 250 watts
    Frequency response: 38-3500Hz, RS115T 38-20Khz
    Black nickel, chromed nickel, or stack-able nylon corners,
    Top steel bar handle or side strap handle
    sound isolating rubber feet on bottom
    Dimensions:23" H X 18" W X 14.875 D
    Weight: 25lbs, $525

Joshbazz likes this.
  3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Stumbo likes this.
  4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Tone wise you seem to be describing Ampeg.
    Try renting something you are interested and gig with it.
    Happy hunting.

5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I have no issue with neo cabs. I also like Revsound - I have the 212.

Joshbazz likes this.
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    They are going to be very different sounding The Barefaced will be darker and woolier, the Mesa deeper, crisper, and cleaner. I'm a big fan of the Mesa Subway 115 but I recently picked up a Barefaced 110 just to see what the voicing was like. Of course I didn't expect that One 10 to come close to the depth and power of the Mesa but I expected more out of the Barefaced. I think I'd need at least 3, maybe 4 One 10's to match a single Mesa 115 so I don't think the Two 10 would do it. Not a knock on BF, they are just two different design goals. That One 10 sounded great at low volume though and the quality is right there with the Mesa. If you want a BF to compete with the Mesa, you may want to look at the Big Baby II. Also worth mentioning...Audiokinesis cabs.

7. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I am a Mesa fan but this is not my experience of the Barefaced 10s at all. I own a Barefaced Four 10 as well as two One 10s. A Barefaced Two 10 should quite easily match the Mesa 115 but of course your tonal goals may vary. IME two One 10s (a Two 10) is more than twice the punch of a One 10. A Barefaced Four 10 is huge in room filling output, but the Barefaced tonal goal for tens is quite different to the Mesa as you say. They have designed it with a strong character in mind. The OP states he likes a vintage old school sound and this is exactly what the Barefaced is designed to present, it makes every amp I use with it sound great - both tube and my Mesa Subway 800+. To the OP: I think you could buy either cabinet with confidence, and a pair of Two 10s would cover you for just about any gig situation.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I wish I could have tried two of the One 10's, or a Two 10. That One 10 is actually voiced more like the Subway 112, but again there was a huge gap in output levels. I also wouldn't recommend a single One 10 for a 5 string, it does not like the B string at all. That's another reason I wish I could have tried at least a Two 10, but like you say they are designed for more vintage output.

9. Coughdrops

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    Thanks to all for the recommendations so far. Regarding the Subway and BF, I think I would like the character of the Barefaced more though part of me wonders if it's deep enough. I don't want subs all the time, but they are nice when needed. It's not intended to do that so it would simply be a voicing trade off. I've also been eyeing the Super Compact as it's not hi-fi and goes lower, but it's probably a much flatter voiced cab. That's not a bad thing, just not sure if it's my thing...

10. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I had a similar thread awhile back. I ended up with a Genzler MG212T. It was the perfect tone I wanted. Thick, fat, sounds great with distortion, and is easy to carry! If you like 1x12's, they make that too.
    MAGELLAN 112T | MG-112T

S-Bigbottom and Coughdrops like this.
  11. Coughdrops

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    The Genzler stuff looks interesting. The descriptions of their amps never really got me excited but maybe I'd like their cabs.

svtb15 likes this.
  12. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Is that referring to the Two10?

Plutonium244 likes this.
  13. Coughdrops

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    Yeah, the Two10. I'm nearly set on this as cab as my choice. I'm not too worried about the sub lows after giving it more thought. It's not central to my actual tone so making a cab decision based on something non essential seems foolish. Can't thank you enough for the email correspondence as well.

Plutonium244 likes this.
  14. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I can see how you might think that because of various anecdotes but in reality if you want super deep lows it can do them better than almost anything its size - yes, it has that mid-bass hump and then gentle roll-off from relatively high up as you get with classic sealed 810s (instead of staying flat-ish and then dropping much more steeply like many ported cabs). But that's just the response with flat EQ.

What limits how deep a ported cab can go is how much air it can move (cone area x excursion) and its port design and tuning frequency - the Two10 isn't a ported cab though, it's our "hybrid resonator" which has two tuning frequencies and the lower one is seriously low, much lower than a normal port tuning. That means at very deep frequencies you're not just causing the speaker to blow out of phase air out of the port, generating almost no output but lots of distortion, it's actually still working properly.

Coughdrops and Plutonium244 like this.
  15. Coughdrops

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida

Ok, that's it, I'm getting two! ...eventually. The new switchable impedance helps seal the deal as well. Nearly ready to place an order.

metallicafan18 likes this.
  16. Jules Meuffels

Jules Meuffels Commercial User

Apr 14, 2016
    The Netherlands
    Custom Shop Bass Cabinets
    :hyper: