1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Barefaced Super Twin-What Cab to Pair it with??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkHead, Mar 28, 2018.

1. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I have a Barefaced Super Twin on the way. It's 4 ohm. I have 2 Amps that are 2 Ohm Stable. A Traynor YBA-300 All Tube (Love this head) and my trusty LH1000. The LH1K can run 4 4ohm Cabs. I play Classic Rock and Blues.

So, I would like to keep one of my Avatar Cabs to Pair with the Super Twin.

The Avatars are:
    B210 Neo(Eminence Delta-Lite II's) 4ohm.
    B115 Neo(Eminence 3015LF) 4ohm.

For Gigs I will use the Traynor and Obviously the Barefaced ST.

I would like to add one of the Avatars just to give some added air movement. Not necessarily more volume, just more tonal range.

Both Avatars have tweeters and can handle 500 watts easily.

I would be willing to add a High pass filter if that would make the B115 the better choice.

There will be times where I run both amps and Ric-O-Sound.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  2. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Do you know what you just bought?

I'd do a couple of gigs with the ST before you decide if you need any other cabs to go with it.

3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    This sounds a lot like "I just bought a Lamborghini, but I'd like to tow my Dodge Aries K behind it. Please recommend a trailer hitch"

wintremute, Green1, MHT75 and 17 others like this.
  4. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Agree with the last two posters, I doubt you'll need or want a second cab to go with the 2x12 glory of the BF Super Twin.

If you want to do it anyway, then IMO the only cab to pair with a Barefaced Super Twin is another Barefaced Super Twin, or Big Twin II. They'll blend together perfectly, and I guess you could use a stereo set-up or a clean/OD set-up a la Tim Commerford.

I have various Barefaced cabs and also several other cabs from before I got the Barefaced cabs. A few of them are really nice cabs-- such as an Eden D410XST, and SWR Goliath III 4x10. I have never felt the need or desire to combine the BF with these other cabs. In fact, they are all on the sale block, so that I can acquire other gear that will get used regularly. When I use the Big Baby 2 + Super Midget (giving me a 2x12 roughly comparable to a ST)-- I have plenty of level, and it's pure tonal bliss as well as loud. Heck, often just the BB2 is enough for many, many gigs.

As Chris said, I'd suggest that you try the ST on its own for a few gigs (give it some break-in time) and see what you think. First-hand experience is the only thing that will convince you either way.

saltydude and FunkHead like this.
  5. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    I had a feeling that would be the response I would get.

I would like to get rid of one Avatar and keep the other for when I use stereo option on my Ric.

I also would like to raise the ST up higher and take some of the "Heat" off it for louder gigs.

I realize it will just be coasting even at loud venues. I know I don't need anything extra other than running in stereo.

Plutonium244 likes this.
  6. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    That's actually a great analogy.

I realize the Avatars don't hold a candle to the BFST.

But, just for the sake of having an extra cab for stereo use, Would a 2x10 be better than a 1x15?

Let's just say for handling My Rics Bridge Pickup through the LH1000. Then I could run the neck Pickup through the Traynor YBA-300 and BFSR.

Also: I am not opposed to getting another Barfaced cab for Stereo use.

Plutonium244 likes this.
  7. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    In terms of the stereo or Ric-o-Sound question, I am not an expert, but my limited understanding of pro audio leads me to believe that pushing a separate and unique signal through a second cab does not require two identical cabs to be done best.

Since the signals from source are fundamentally different, all of the comb filtering and phase issues, etc. that can affect a mono signal through two different cabs should not exist.

FunkHead likes this.
  8. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Great. I will probably hold onto my 2x10 Avatar then.

9. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    Time to sell all your avatars.

10. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Should work as long as you're using 2 amps? You can turn up the amp pushing the Avatar cab to compensate so that the BF-pushing amp isn't louder than the other. Unless-- entirely possible-- I am missing something.

FunkHead likes this.
  11. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Those things already exist natively on two pickup basses run in mono. And many of us like it that way... Or_wink. Check this applet out: Guitar Pickup Response Demonstration

Running clean/dirty rigs and/or Ric O' ones with two amps and cabs just opens up yet another set of tradeoffs, IME. If I were the OP I'd just try every permutation of what I already had before spending another dime.

12. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    There's really no wrong way to Ric-O Sound AFIK. I did it before with a Marshall VBA400 and a Hartke HA4000(I Think). I ran each through a Hartke 4x10. It sounded pretty darn good.
    I can't wait to get this Barefaced Super Twin. It's gonna be sweet.

13. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    i use a Barefaced 810 with mine......killer

steelbed45 and saltydude like this.
  14. weedmanricker

weedmanricker

Sep 23, 2007
    ON, CANADA
    Ive ric o sounded a few times...

Bass to svt vr and a yorkville 4x10,
    Treble to epiphone valve jr.

Also
    Bass to yba200-2 into ampeg 410he
    Treble into yorkville bloc 250 2x15 stack.

Sounded killer both times but with a band i never really found a use for it. Fun experiencing though!

FunkHead likes this.
  15. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I would run the Barefaced alone - it would be a pity to ruin its sound with another inferior cab and they are so insanely loud that you won’t need anything else.

FunkHead and 10cc like this.
  16. honeyiscool

honeyiscool Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    When you are using stereo, then use whatever. If you’re planning on combining the Barefaced with something else in parallel, though, then you’re not using the product correctly, and it’s a shame to spend so much money on a cabinet just to ignore everything about how you are supposed to use it. Barefaced is engineered to do very specific things, and you’re paying for that expertise and research as well as construction. If you just combine your cab with something else, then it’s like why did you even.

FunkHead likes this.
  17. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    You don't need to do either. Enjoy it on its own before you start trying to 'improve' the rig! ;-)

18. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Ok, I'm reading about the Super Twin and these guys are claiming it is for people who want the output of an 810 (among other large configurations) but want to downsize.

Is this for real? Is it that friggin loud?

19. I would say a matching cab for stereo use will be the easiest and most consistent option.

But I would wait until you are certain the Barefaced suits you. So do a bunch of gigs with it alone to really test it out.

In the meantime I would pick the Avatar cab you like best for use with stereo setups. If you run clean/dirty, then assuming you run the dirt channel through the Avatar, pick the Avatar you feel sounds best with your dirt. I am thinking the 210 might be the one, but let your ears guide you.

FunkHead likes this.
  20. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Do you know, I'd be keen to check that out. Does anyone have an 8x10 and an appropriately (maybe that's not the right word!) powerful amp that they could run it to its limits? What spl does it do at say 50, 100 and 500Hz?

I don't technically have a super twin but I do have two of the same Barefaced 12s, my gut says BF...

InhumanResource and Plutonium244 like this.