1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

barely tightened the truss rod of warwick thumb w/o loosening strings. Concern?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by triggervision, Mar 26, 2009.

1. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    I tightened maybe a 1/16 of a turn. Just slipped my mind to loosen string as I was kind of in a rush. Doesn't appear to have any damage done to anything as I barely turned it. But I didn't think about it till after the fact. Should I worry about my baby?

2. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    No - I've never heard of doing a truss adjustment with the strings at pitch harming a bass (and it's actually frequently touted as a more practical way of doing things as re-tuning the strings after an adjustment is counterproductive).

On top of that 1/16 doesn't make much of a difference at all on any instrument I've ever worked on.

3. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    ok. thanks. Yeah..it was very slight as I am pretty anal about some things and my relief is one of them. So the ever so slight adjustment, while not changing much on the bass, put my mind at ease. haha. thanks eadg.

4. I tighten the truss rod with the strings at pitch all the time (not every time, but often). If the truss rod is tough to turn, I loosen the strings. If the truss rod moves freely, I go slow and don't worry about it. I only do 1/8 turns at a time (per couple hours) though - I'm anal about that.

5. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    No. These urban bass legends about trussrod adjustments, are just silly.

6. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Some guys even recommend that you tighten the truss rod with the strings up to pitch.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I agree. I always adjust the truss rod with the strings tuned to pitch when I can.

8. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    You already are, and it's pretty ridiculous.

9. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    I do - if possible. Tightening your rod and then tuning up again increases the tension on the neck in the opposite direction of the rod - seems counterproductive to me.