Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Barenaked Ladies DB bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by f'nar f'nar, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Hey guys, have you ever heard of him. I can't remember his name but I like him.

For those who do know him and know his bass lines, would you consider him a good double bassist or just average?

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Google tells me that his name is apparently Jim Creeggan. He's always sounded good to me. Dunno what's "average", but I like some of the bass work on their stuff.

"Average' is a funny term...Ed Fuqua's recent comments on the state of bassists in NYC come to mind. I'd love to be considered average in that town!

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    It's really hard to judge his capabilities from BNL's more or less "pop" sort of material, though I do remember he sat in on a female vocalist's (can't remember her name) CD and threw some nice lines. From what I've read he is a trained player.

4. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    Listen to some of his stuff with "The Brothers Creeggan". That is a group with Jim and his brother Andy on piano & vocal (formerly a BNL member). Some of it gets a bit too wierd for my taste, but it seems clear to me that Jim is really an excellent player. He bows well, his time is awesome, he is also very inventive. I'm fairly certain he has had legit training from a young age as well (like Bob said). I've had the chance to see him in a small club and watch him play from about 10 feet away. I think he's a really great player.

5. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I saw him - BNL - live a while back and it was one of the best concerts I've seen. They have a great time, some of the songs are...quarky...but it's a great time. I thought his playing was excellent. He did a great solo - arco and pizz - and his groove was appropriate for their tunes on upright and electric.

6. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    That's Jim Creegan (one "g".)

Barenaked Ladies were happening in Canada for quite a while before they broke in the States. I remember seeing them back around '91 or so and thinking they were a great band with lots of pop potential based on songwriting and the presence of actual thinking, feeling and competent musicianship.

Creegan's a real bass player fer sure; trained and been at it for a very long time. He and his brother released an album of their own music a few years back that was met with critical confusion. It was pretty outside apparently (I haven't heard anything but a bit of radio play that went along with promo interviews at the time of the album's release.)

7. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    http://www.brotherscreeggan.com/
    He spells it with two g's.

The Brothers Creeggan have six albums out, one just recently released.

8. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    So that's why the Google hits were so sparse! Thx, larry.

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    It's weird, at first I couldn't even find Ggoogggle. :smug:

10. Saw the band in concert around 1994 or 1995. I usually don't attend pop concerts but it was sort of a "date" so it was difficult to refuse. Everyone in the band was/is a very good musician including the bassist who mostly played a real double bass and sometimes played an electric upright kind of thing on a stand. I thought the bassist performed very well that night but the house sound was terrible for the real DB. I guess people doing rock sound don't confront DB very much. The bassist did one arco solo which sounded very rough and unschooled and not well thought out. Maybe that was intentional, I don't know.

11. ...I found an article on Jim in an old Bass Player magizine...Jim is a classically trained player,started playing electric in high school,and studied classical at the University of Toronto for 2 years...I am not a fan of BNL,but he is a great player!

12. I'm a huge fan of Jim's. I've been listening to BNL since "Be My Yoko Ono" was a demo tape. I found his playing quite inspiring. Let's face it, how often do you hear arco bass in pop music? Despite all their quirkiness, those guys are all serious musicians....

13. lownotes02

lownotes02

Jan 19, 2005
    Melbourne, Fl
    I'll have to ck them out. Ive heard of them, but I always thought their name was a ploy to get people to come out and see them, and once they got signed, the rest is history. When I lived in So Cal, there was a band called "Free Beer" who usually managed to get people to their shows based soley on their name. Obviously, people who showed up to the club felt jilted, but they at least had a "folllowing," short-lived as it was.

14. He's had to give himself a second 'g' to avoid confusion with Jim Cregan who once played bass with British rock band Family, who had hits like "Burlesque" in the 70's.

I reckon.

Unless it's the same guy.