Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BARF diet for Dogs?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Juneau, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Any of you have any experience with a Bone And Raw Food diet with their dogs? I just ordered a book to read up on some of it, and the logic is deffinantly sound behind it. Just wondering if any of you feed your dogs this way, and if so maybe you could post some sample menus (include size of your dog please), and maybe even the supplier you use or how you go about procurring this stuff.

Thanks in advance.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Good one! This is THE diet, imho....

dogs, in the wild, don't eat puppy food, then adult food, yada, yada, yada....

the only reason i don't feed Jaco BARF is i'm too lazy, so i feed ultra premium foods like Canidae....(there are plenty of ultra premium foods out there, i have learned enough to stay away from the big store foods, might as well just give your dog McDonalds all the time)....

i have learned a lot about BARF from www.rottweiler.net (watch it, the mods can be jerkwads)....

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Thanks man. My wolf is about the size of a full grown Rott at 100lbs or so, so maybe they will have some good menus.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    What breed do you have?

BTW, i'm glad there are some people around here that take their dogs nutrition seriously. :)

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Yeah a lot of people seem to rave about EVO as well.

And my "dog" is not a dog hehe. He's about 95% Artic Wolf, so technically a hybrid. And despite all the arguments, and no I dont necessarily condone breeding these animals, and wouldnt recomend them to anyone as a pet, Ive had great success with mine.

Him being a wild type breed is part of what makes me want to switch him. His digestive system doesnt do well on commerical foods at all. Im sorry to say he's 6 years old already and up until now, I have never given his nutrition much thought. After losing my other buddy Monday, Ive decided to make some positive changes for the benifit of my wolf left behind.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    arctic breeds (wolfy breeds) are even closer to the whole "pack" mentality then your basic domestic breeds (not to say that domestic breeds are not "pack" animals) - having said this, I highly recommend you watch the "Dog Whisperer" on TV and get a hold of Cesar Millan's DVD - you need to make sure that you are clearly behaving as your wolf's "pack leader" - this is crucial (i also have a wolfy breed at home in addition to Jaco the Rott and Myca the Rat Terrier).

Getting back to BARF, here are a few links (i'm not sure you have to be a member to view):

http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22780&highlight=barf

http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14192&highlight=barf

http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11472&highlight=barf

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Thanks man. Yes I did a ton of reading about wolf hybrids and wolves in general before I got my good buddy Juneau. Im a big guy, with a loud voice, and am very commanding with my dogs. To the point that I dont do well with skitish dogs at all, they get too afraid of my voice hehe.

Im am deffinantly the leader of the pack and he knows it. I can look at him crossly and he'll lay down. I never have to use physical methods to get him to listen, my voice is more than enough when used correctly. Its really amazing how much dogs, and especially wolves will pay attention to body language. He's very exagerated with his body language too compared to other dogs Ive owned. Its very clear how he feels about something by his posture. And in turn, knows what Im thinking by mine.

Its been an experience owning an animal like this for sure. I have always been into more exotic animals and have a lot of experience with reptiles specifically. Ive raised large dogs my whole life, so I took on this responsibility knowing full well what I was getting into. Only thing I would have done differently is getting him neutered early. I am taking him in Friday for that, but he's 6 yrs old now. I probably could have avoided all the escape artist problems had I done this sooner.

8. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    My spouse is a small animal vet. We were thinking about going all the way to a whole foods diet (she's also a certified veterinary accupunturist and herbalist), we've been REALLY happy with the following:

1. 50% Purina One or Purina Pro Plan dry food -- among the best dry foods and also readily available in stores

2. 50% http://www.cocoscaninecuisine.com/ -- Coco's is basically rice and some other healthy good stuff. To make it you boil one packet along with a pound of ground beef. Or in your case, ten packets and ten pounds of beef. Then you can freeze what you don't need and you're all set for the week. It's clean, smells nice, and is overall a lot easier to fit into your lifestyle.

3. One daily scoop of http://www.platinumperformance.com/ -- Platinum performace is AWESOME. It's an Omega 3 supplement with a bunch of other stuff too. You won't believe how healthy your dog's skin and coat will be with regular PP. Our dog SHINES. She really looks and feels great with this stuff. You may need to order it through your local vet.

Anyway, this is what we use and we've been so happy, we're stayed with it for years. Our pup LOVES the food and it's SO much cheaper than BARF. Plus, you can use any kind of ground meat with Coco's--turkey, chicken, beef--whatever's cheap.

9. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    I agree with everyone elses statements about the BARF diet for dogs. The availability of premium dog foods makes the BARF diet a bit cumbersome. The store that I purchase our dogs food from carries the BARF frozen bags of food.

We have been through a few different brands of food for our Labs, Innova, Timber Wolf, Royal Canin, but we (or I should say our dogs) seem to like Chicken Soup for The Dog Lovers Soul dry and canned food the best. The canned food actually has whole peas, carrots, and potatoes - sometimes looks better than the food that I make for dinner... :D

We mix 1 cup of dry with about a tablespoon of canned and once a day they each get a scoop of Inclover connectin joint supplement.