1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bargain amps for a Fearful 12/6?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mid_life_crisis, Sep 15, 2010.

1. mid_life_crisis

mid_life_crisis

Jul 8, 2010
    I'm planning ahead to the day when I am ready for a "real" amp/cabinet. As an amateur woodworker, I have no qualms about building the cabinet for a Fearful, and it looks like clearly the best bang for the buck approach. As part of this planning, I need to figure out how much $ I'm going to need to squirrel away for that cabinet and an amp. The cabinet is pretty cut and dry.
    The amp is another story.
    I don't like buying used things that I cannot easily fix myself, so I am gunshy about buying a used amp.
    I would like to use an active equalizer as I consider passive crossovers to be a waste of power to be avoided if possible. Ideally I'm looking for a two channel amp that can run one Fearful biamped or thinking even further down the road, two Fearfuls biamped in parallel.
    Keeping in mind the budget nature of this endeavour, think powerful, affordable, minimalist amp. The crossover/preamp can have the "tone tweaking" circuitry, I hope.

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you're going to buy an amp, crossover, and preamp, I'd suggest getting a preamp or power amp with built in crossover stuff.

I'd roll with a Crown XTI 2000 and a cheap preamp. Best bang for your buck there. My current thoughts for cheap preamps off the shelf: Markbass super booster pedal and a nice eq pedal.

3. mid_life_crisis

mid_life_crisis

Jul 8, 2010
    Ideally, it would be an amp with nothing but a volume control and everything else in the second component.

4. mid_life_crisis

mid_life_crisis

Jul 8, 2010
    On second thought, after checking out those amps, I may not need anything else. The onboard bass controls and a couple stompboxes should provide all the tone control I need. That is one amazing amp.

5. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, the XTI series is epic for the biamping bass player.

They are super cheap closeout on ebay right now too last I checked.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021