Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bargain battle: markbass vs ashdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toranabass, Jan 13, 2005.

1. toranabass

toranabass

Nov 8, 2003
    France/Albi
    hi!

I want to replace my bxr 300c, I ain't got lots of money to spend, so here is my question:

cab: ashdown 410 deep

head: mag 300h (307w) or markbass little f1 (450w)?

I'd like to get a warm but punchy amp, I saw on tb that the mag will reach my tastes, but the markbass is said as a great amp too.

wich one to choose?

2. toranabass

toranabass

Nov 8, 2003
    France/Albi
    :crying:

3. ashdown.

markbass has some negative feedback. This is supported by BP. However, the harshness may be associated with the loudspeakers, not the head.

4. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    I've played the Marbass 1x10 combo as well as one of the heads and 4x10. Sorry I can't remember exactly which ones as I'm not super familiar with their line up. Anyway I wasn't really impressed by either. They both tended to sound a little honky and harsh. The low end was ok but not great. I was pretty dissappointed with the finish of the head. The dials were small, cheap plastic jobs and the face plate seemed cheap and nasty. The Markbass stuff can get the job done though. I suppose a lot of it depends on how much money you have to spend. I would definitely choose the Ashdown.

5. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Tried ashdown for 3 hours at the store looking for Laklands. Didn't even know about Ashdown until then but man they has great sounds. Made the Ampeg next to it sound like crap

6. toranabass

toranabass

Nov 8, 2003
    France/Albi
    I'm looking for a semi pro equipment = simple, reliable, "cheap".

head+cab about 700€, wich can be done by ashdown's mag series, a little more (750) with the markbass.

I've read reviews on the markbass telling that the compressor makes it sound warmer??? has someone experienced that?

(I'm in Europe= impressive prices on US equipment, even used... :meh: )

thanks a lot guys!

7. toranabass

toranabass

Nov 8, 2003
    France/Albi

I placed a bid... :D

no other markbass issues?

8. I've got a Markbass head. I think it's the same as the one you're bidding for. For that sort of money it's a good buy.

I've also got an Ashdown ABM head and if I had to choose then I would definitely go for Ashdown but Markbass is good gear. There may be some negative feedback on here about them but there's also a lot of positive.

9. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    Yeah I might have come off a bit too negative on Markbass in my earlier post. I don't think there's anything really wrong with Markbass as such. The main thing I didn't like about it was the tone - but that's so subjective. Also before I had played it people had been telling me how it was going to blow my mind so I probably expected more of it. All in all they're pretty decent value price/performance wise.

10. No, nothing wrong with an honest opinion. Like you say it's so subjective, and I would go for Ashdown every time. I think your comments about the Markbass head are absolutely right bearing in mind the prices they go for. It's a basic head with no bells and whistles which is how they keep the price down.

When I bought the Markbass head I just needed an amp in a hurry cos my Ashdown had gone boobies up. It's a lot of watts for the money, and sounded pretty good but since having got the Ashdown back I haven't used the Markbass.

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland

Hi Andy....you keeping the F1?

12. Bennito

Bennito

Sep 12, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    I love my markbass head. I've used it with a few different cabs including Ampeg and Bergantino. Great stuff for the money.

I actually saw the bass player for Black Eyed Peas using a Markbass head as well.

13. the behringer ashdown clone would be nice. they are only 230 U.S. in MF.

14. Oh yes, why? You looking to buy one?

15. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    G'day. Yes...there was one on sale not far from the home. I'm unloading my Nemesis first. The Markbass is the last one in the shop at a very un-Swisslike price. Should it be gone, I'll be hunting down another good deal. Looking a for 250-350 watts into 8 ohms in a head. The Markbass suits me just fine. Plus the price is quite good at CHF750.

bmc

16. Yeah you can't beat them for the price

17. IMO the Markbass amps are getting a bad rep for no good reason.

They use good quality parts, their power ratings are conserative and they give you great bang for the buck.

If you can not afford high end gear and are looking for a low noise amp with a less colored tone you could do alot worse then Markbass. Of course it is not a WW head but it would not be fair to compare it to one. It ain't bad for what it is.

I have the Little Mark amp. It continues to amaze me when I use it on gigs. It is reliable, light weight, did I mention its light, and can hold its own in the mix with busy drummers and wanna be guitar gods.

I have the following amps;
    Ashdown evo 300, Glockenklang Heartcore, Aggie db750.
    The Little Mark has its place among those amps because it delivers on what it promises. Good tone in a lightweight package with plenty of headroom and good value for the dollar.

18. Gyoon

Gyoon

Nov 12, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    I would like to add that Markbass has this tiny 2x10 cabinet that weighs only 28 pounds and kicks out some serious volume. I heard it with the Markbass litte mark head and liked what I heard. I didn't find that combination lacked lows or anything of the sort. You could definitely do worse than this stuff.

Glenn

19. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland

Nice to read the favorable comments on this amp. I'm picking one up on Saturday. I have an 8 ohm cab rated at 250 watts. I've been looking for an affordable amp that will deliver that kind of power at 8 ohms. Also, I face prices here that beyond stupid and the F-1 is a true anomaly. I'm looking forward to gigging with it.