1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bargain hunting...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    This spring has been great for finding ridiculous deals for my wife et moi.

It started with a Samsung 50" DLP TV for $150 - ebay/Craigslist. Still haven't figured out what to do with it, leaning towards having it dedicated to a Wii in the basement.

7 foot wide horizontal entertainment stand with TV lift. Was originally over $4000. Potomac, MD estate sale. Marked at $75, 1/2 price yesterday... $37.50. We also got a very nice French country style china cabinet for $75.

We rented a 10 U Haul truck to pick both pieces up. It took four of us to lift the TV stand.

Signet SL280 B/U speakers. This was my favorite find, a $25 handyman special at a local thrift store. I think they were around $800 new. I use a pair of these in our bedroom and they're excellent speakers so I figured at worst I'd end up with cheap spare parts in the unlikely situation where I might need them. I hooked them up at home and only the tweeters worked. When I opened one up I wasn't quite prepared for what I'd find.
    :D

These are very well built boxes with heavy acoustical foam rubber against the walls. The first thing I noticed was a peanut shell as I pulled the woofer. Then another and it became obvious that a mouse had made it's home there. There were probably four or five cups of shredded material (foam rubber and fabic) in the bottom of the box. Inspecting the driver, I found that the mouse had even chewed the lightweight leads going to the cone itself. I've seen mice in gear before but eating that wire seemed a bit extreme.

Opened the other one up, wires chewed off the same way and this one had a couple of cups of corn in it. Seriously. They had two three level homes... definitely living large:D. Whatever had been in there had been long gone. My guess is the PO had these stored somewhere.

I replaced the wires, went over all of the connections on the biampable crossovers, sprayed and aired out the cabs and they sound great. Not bad for $25, maybe a couple of hours of my time and minimal supplies.

I also found great deals on a couple of basses and a Bag End S10-D cab. And a refrigerator for the garage. And more. Cheap fun.

2. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Gettin stoopid deals is quite the addictive drug. Looks like you've got the eye and the luck for it. Kind of like the few people I've met who have either found pre-CBS J/P basses in their uncle's closet or at a pawn shop for $500 bucks. Maybe some day........Heck, I'd settle for a bigscreen deal like yours!!

3. ...braggart.

:spit:

;)

Nice scores, Brad, kudos. I need to start thinking more like this!

4. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    nice...

this year i have scored

a $150.00 microwave at target that was mislabled clearance @ $24.00

a 5 piece bedroom set , all real wood , major name and in fantastic shape for $150.00

and a MIA deluxe p for $500.00

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Just trying to stretch the crap out of a dollar... as usual.
    :D

So... got the big TV stand, brought it home, now after four uneventful years the other TV's on the fritz. Researched the issue and should be able to fix it for $50.
    :bassist:

6. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Fixed.

Sorry, guys, but I just could not help it on that one. It's such a common mistake and I really don't know why, but it drives me nuts. :(

[/compulsivegrammarcorrection]

7. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

8. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    No sweet deals for me lately.

-Mike

10. Randall

Randall