1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bargain?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sagaris, Dec 27, 2005.

1. After a recent cash injection from Christmas, I suddenly felt the urge to try something new. So I was looking through the Fretless section on an online website and suddenly find the most shocking deal.

HARLEY BENTON HBB500FLTBK 5-string FRETLESS E-Bass
    [​IMG]

For £106($185)!? I'm not really in the know of how to tell if a Bass is worth it's price though. But I was pretty shocked when I found it. If someone did want a 5-String Fretless, which I am now having second thoughts on wanting, would that be either a fantastic deal of a Bass or something that'd fall apart as soon as you play it?

I really hope there isn't an obvious factor I've overlooked, or this thread would be pointless. :ninja:

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I don't think this is a great deal. These basses are manufactured in China and seem to be hit or miss in terms of quality control. They sell for around 100 pounds in Europe but I have not seen any dealers in North America. IMHO for the same money you might look at the SX line of basses. They are around US 120 - US 200 but I have heard nothing but good things about them.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
  4. These?

SX BG-205 Fretless
    SX BG-180TM Fretless

Yeah, these do appear to be better, thanks for directing me to them purfektstranger and Philbiker. I think I'd be leaning more towards just the 4 Strings for now so I'll strongly consider the 4-String above.