Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bargain?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sagaris, Dec 27, 2005.

1. After a recent cash injection from Christmas, I suddenly felt the urge to try something new. So I was looking through the Fretless section on an online website and suddenly find the most shocking deal.

HARLEY BENTON HBB500FLTBK 5-string FRETLESS E-Bass
    [​IMG]

For £106($185)!? I'm not really in the know of how to tell if a Bass is worth it's price though. But I was pretty shocked when I found it. If someone did want a 5-String Fretless, which I am now having second thoughts on wanting, would that be either a fantastic deal of a Bass or something that'd fall apart as soon as you play it?

I really hope there isn't an obvious factor I've overlooked, or this thread would be pointless. :ninja:

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I don't think this is a great deal. These basses are manufactured in China and seem to be hit or miss in terms of quality control. They sell for around 100 pounds in Europe but I have not seen any dealers in North America. IMHO for the same money you might look at the SX line of basses. They are around US 120 - US 200 but I have heard nothing but good things about them.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
  4. These?

SX BG-205 Fretless
    SX BG-180TM Fretless

Yeah, these do appear to be better, thanks for directing me to them purfektstranger and Philbiker. I think I'd be leaning more towards just the 4 Strings for now so I'll strongly consider the 4-String above.