1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bargain??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TitchM, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Hey all. Well, Im wondering what you guys think. I walked into the local music store and was lookin around the bass section when I came across, what I think, to be a little gem. I found a Fender Percussion Bass (Made In Japan), P/J config., rosewood fretboard, brass machine heads, all in good nick. It looks like its been around the block once (or twice) but I checked it thoro, the tone was pretty good, and all was in good workin order. The price was damn good aswell..being a student, and admittedly, skint, Im lookin for a good buy. What do you, the viewer, say? Are "Made In Japan" Fenders of any quality? Lemme know what you all think. Cheers..

2. I have been looking for just such a bass for a few months now and can't touch one for under 250$ US here. Look on ebay to get an idea of what they go for, although i tend to find ebay stuff goes for about 10-20% above what I would call a good deal.

3. Made in Japan Fenders are very good. Fender have never made a 'percussion' bass, though.

And plated brass tuners went out in the 60s, I think.

4. Yeah, sorry, I meant Precision Bass. Its sellin for £295 over here. Im seriously gaggin' to get into the store on Monday and put a deposit down. I'll check Ebay too, let you know..

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just for your reference, Titch, a place that sells a lot of used Fenders in the States, Bass Palace, has a "mint" (they say) `87 "Made in Japan" Precis priced at $295US. So, I guess that's around 207 pounds.

I would imagine used Fenders command a pretty good price in the UK, (just as used British gear does here).

Bass Palace is no bargain barn but they're not way out of line either.

6. I checked out eBay and that place you were talkin bout, rickbass. I cant say I'm a huge fan of eBay, but on first look, "the bass palace" dont look too bad.
    Fenders do come with a price tag over here. I've seen them vary from £196 to over £400 in some places (places where I woludnt buy a bass, incedentally..)